cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbrogren
Former Member
Message 51 of 153

Updated version does not help

Thanks Peacekeeper -- we are on the way to get my problem out of the way!
I did follow your instructions here as well as from the email message, i.e., I uninstalled McAfee Security stuff and downloaded the removal tool, then reinstalled the security program. However, after I copy/pasted and sent the long string to http://support-uk.webroot.com (etc) I received a screen saying: "Operation failed. Illegal parameter".

When I click on the webroot link to remove that program on the McAfee download screen nothing happens.

Now what do I do???

Roger
Peacekeeper
Message 52 of 153

RE: Updated version does not help

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=223458

Sometimes better to reinstall webroot and then try uninstalling it again.

By the illegal parameter are you clicking on the link in Ex_brit's post? I trie dit and got a popup saying do i want to download the file . Try the reinstall path first
rbrogren
Former Member
Message 53 of 153

Delete Webroot

No, I am referring to the McAfee scree that came up after I had reloaded the three programs in the Security Center. That screen indicated that there was a problem and that I had to "click on the link below to remove the Webroot program" before McAfee would install on my computer.

At this time the only McAfee program on my computer is the Vertual Technician.

Next I will try to reinstall Webroot and then uninstall it.

Roger
perrbro
Former Member
Message 54 of 153

McAfee verified or not? installed & working or not?

:mad:
well let's see...
i think it started yesterday (as with so many others, apparently). i got a windows security warning (red badge icon) & the message was something like "your computer is not fully protected". i checked 'Control Panel'/Security Center & found my virus protection turned off. (And TODAY, i find my firewall is now off- this just gets better & better.)
i opened McAfee & found there was an update.
my Dell is so lousy-slow, i check security software almost daily; hit 'updates'; and am told there are none. Now there's a new version of McAfee (1.41 9/10/09?). So i downloaded that. then i was told to re-boot.
nothing has been the same since.
when i power back up ( i did a full shut-down, not re-start) i started getting this error- 3 times while loading Windows:
the box/window is labelled 'mcshield.exe application error'. the error message is
"instruction at 'ox1472ac82' referenced memory at '0x00000030'.
the Memory could not be 'read'". "'OK'=terminate program, 'Cancel'=debug)
as i say, this happenend 3 times during loading Windows.
i click my McAfee icon for 'upgrades' or 'scan'; i get the logo on briefly, but instead of opening the file, the logo disappears.
i hit 'verify subscription' & am told it's verified.
i log onto my account and look at 'my account' or 'my profile'. One tab tells me my account expired 1/22/09 & i have been un-protected for 258 days. The programs behavior proves otherwise. Another tab tells me my account will expire 11/09/09. This contradiction has existed for months.
So: Is my account installed, and working, and verified? or not?
it's bad enough we continue to pay Micro-shaft's absurd prices for software so buggy that a cottage industry like McAfee, Symantec, et al, has to exist in the first place. But when your releases are as sloppy, buggy, un-proven as theirs the world is truly on its @@s.
sincerely,
rbrogren
Former Member
Message 55 of 153

More on "unprotected

I see that I am not the only one with McAfee problems!

I did go to Webroot and reinstalled and uninstalled it and it appears to have worked.

I finally got to a point that I could download the McAfee/AOL version 9, but my account still says that I have not renewed! When I try to run a McAfee scan nothing happens.
Suddenly I received a message screen that told me that I had to type in the 20 (?) digit control number -- that I had dumped!

I tried to get back to the McAfee.com screen where I could recoup the number, but any McAfee link that I clicked on on my HP laptop resulted in a "could not connect" screen.
I tried the same thing from my MacBook and it worked fine, however I could not get to the screen withthe 20 digit numbers.

I just went back to the HP and now it appears that the Security Center is up and running!

All I can say after all the time I wasted trying to get the Security Center going is that it better keep working or I'll go back to Norton or some free program systems!

Roger
perrbro
Former Member
Message 56 of 153

P.S. re SC9.0 2009 problems

...so the latest thing i tried was to restore the system back to where it was before all the trouble.
Now McAfee is gone altogether. i'm not sure that's a totally bad thing. The only help options are 'online chat' or the 'community forums'. I thought it was especially interesting that you can't hit an 'about' button & find out if you're on SecurityCenter 9..0 or 8.0. And if you search the account for 'SecurityCenter rev' ('SecurityCenter' seems to be a rtade name) it will ask 'do you mean 'Security Center' & return ONE article. No wonder this trip has taken 4-5 hours of my day.
i may re-install & i may not. it depends on how much more time i waste researching this & other software packages.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 57 of 153

RE: P.S. re SC9.0 2009 problems

You can check your version by opening Security Center (either right-click the taskbar icon and select open, or double-click it) then click "About" at the lower right of the open window.

System restore will always destroy or at least corrupt the installation. If updating it manually (right-click - Update) fails then follow these instructions:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

If that fails to help please use Technical Support Chat which is free via the link at top left of this page and ask them to escalate the issue if necessary.

This problem has got to the point where it is beyond our help and they can at least connect with your machines to see what is going on.
Peacekeeper
Message 58 of 153

RE: P.S. re SC9.0 2009 problems

perrbro
Whatever you do run the clean up tool to ensure all bits of Mcafee are removed. If you intend reinstalling run the preinstall tool

Run the McAfee Preinstall Tool from the following link:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe and attempt to reinstall.

Another factor that can prevent installation is competing software....is/was there any?

McAfee relies heavily on a working and up to date Internet Explorer. Go to IE Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click "Reset", OK any prompts and click Apply and OK. Close and reopen IE, go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable all the add-ons.
(This is assuming IE7 or 8 which you should have). Whether or not you use IE this still applies.

Finally if you get it installed run teh Mcafee Virtual Technician if there are any problems and post the session ID.

Your expiry dates issue really needs Customer service to look into it .
http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=CHAT

All this assume you are willing to give the product another chance.
austinabrady
Former Member
Message 59 of 153

Update, No resolution.

McAfee has drooped the ball. :mad:
Tier 3 tech just spent two hours playing with my system.
He said there are a few known issues with 64bit Vista and
he cant find any sort of infection.
The best he could offer is I should try to reinstall my OS.
It makes NO sense. This OS was installed less than two months ago.
It's Vista Ultimate SP2 from MS. Shipped from them directly with the latest updates.
The ONLY problem I have is with McAfee's product.
I have it running on two other older systems, one XP and one Vista Ultimate 64bit and no problems at all.
I am very frustrated at this point.
If I did do another fresh install of the OS, I am POSITIVE I would have the same problem and I will have wasted 2 days reinstalling all of my software.
I think I may switch to AVG or Node32 today.
I don't want to, as I like McAfee, but I am REALLY let down by this lack of responsible support.
If anyone can see a reason I should not switch to another working Anti-Virus solution
please let me know.
kramretsel75
Contributor
Message 60 of 153

RE: Update, No resolution.

i have this kind of problem too...from time to time i'm getting this message from mcafee security center..

just like today, after the updates and it recommends to restart my system then after restarting the message appears again :confused:

peacekeeper suggested about checking the email u use(subscription) and im sure i'm using the same email address after i renew my subscription last month..

hope they(mcafee) get it fix as soon as possible..
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community