cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poodles5
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

need advice please

I have been using outlook express for years- now I have to go to windows 7- what e mail program will work with McAfee?  will be installing windows 7 home premium 64 bit-do not want to buy outlook for 200 dollars just to get outllok mail- any suggestions? Thanks

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: need advice please

At the moment Eudora, Incredimail, Netscape or Thunderbird.  Of course that depends on what you intend to use in McAfee SecurityCenter.  McAfee wont stop you using Windows Live Mail either but the Anti-Spam toolbar feature wont work.

Supported Email Programs

• POP3 – Windows Mail, Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Netscape, IncrediMail and Thunderbird
  • MAPI – Outlook
  • Web email account with POP3 access

Additional requirements for the Anti-Spam Toolbar Plug-In To utilize the Anti-Spam Toolbar in your Email client, you must have at least one of the email clients below:

• Microsoft® Windows Mail or Outlook Express 6.0 or later
  • Microsoft® Outlook XP or later
  • Eudora 6.0 or later
  • Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5 or later

Anti-Spam also supports, but does not provide a toolbar for, any other POP3 email client (without SSL) and web mail accounts.

Also if you feel ambitious there are hacks available to get Windows Mail (Vista's successor to Outlook Express) to work in Windows 7 along with it's various connected services, see:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5481-windows-mail.html?ltr=W

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/02/12 4:23:54 EST PM
      exbrit
      MVP
      MVP
      Message 3 of 7

Moved this to SecurityCenter as more appropriate.

poodles5
      Former Member
      Message 4 of 7

Thankyou for the info- I would like to keep the spam toolbar so I guess I will have to choose one of the ones that support POP account, I like the spam toolbar- outlook express will not work in windows 7- I was told thunderbird is a lot like outlook express- most of my friends use g mail or hotmail- however I want to keep my security where it has been all these years. I hate to lose Outlook Express but 7 does not support it- Outlook does but it is expensive- what is Eudora ?

exbrit
      MVP
      MVP
      Message 5 of 7

Yes I quite understand.  OE dies when XP dies in 2014.  Windows Mail was the successor in Vista which I rather like.    I use it and Incredimail XE.

poodles5
      Former Member
      Message 6 of 7

Is windows mail in 7 home premium or is it a download? I assume McAfee works with it-also incredible mail? Thunderbird will work with McAfee- also toolbar- I know its a download-

exbrit
      MVP
      MVP
      Message 7 of 7

Only the Calendar & Contacts part of Windows Mail is present in Windows 7, there is no mail programme at all actually.  However because the basic Windows Mail registry entries are there, albeit deactivated, it can be reactivated through a hack as I mentioned last of all in my original response.   It's a rather complicated procedure to get all aspects working but the tutorial is pretty straightforward if one takes it slowly and has logical steps to follow.

The only Microsoft mail programme other than Outlook that officially works in 7 is Windows Live Mail which some like, I don't, simply because it creates a complete set of folders for each mail identity of which I have many.  If you only use 1 or 2 identities (email addresses) then it might be OK for you, but the Anti-Spam toolbar wont show in it until it is programmed to be so, if ever that happens.   It can be downloaded from Windows Live.

Vista was the last operating system to incorporate its own mail program, blamed partly on lawsuits against Microsoft from the Europeean Union

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/02/12 5:55:04 EST PM
      How Many Badges Can You Collect?
      Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
      • Learn How to Earn Badges
      • Ask for Help
      Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
      • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
      • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
      Join the Community
      Join the Community