cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 71 of 150

Re: mcshield.exe and 100% CPU still a problem

But it does do everything I want at present.

Also if you look at the numerous posts about mcshield.exe you will see that this has also been causing problems with more powerful computers than mine. The fact that AVG is so much faster (and according to reviews better) than McAfee shows that it is McAfee and not the computer which is the problem. It affects some computers and not others and McAfee have not been able to fin out why and thus solve it.

Getting a new computer is not so obvious as you seem to think.

Firstly we would need two. Then we would have to get full versions (for business use) of MS Office and also additional language proofing tools costing as much as the computers again.

The work we do requires formatting or reformatting lots of tables - we could have as many as 100 tables in a document. The newer versions of Word are not so customisable as 2003. There are ribbons which can't be customised and only one tool bar that can. In Word 2003 I have created a custom Table Toolbar. By using one click to position the cursor in a cell or select a row or column or the whole table I can remove or add a line to the top, bottom, right, left, inside or outside whith ONE more click. I have also customised other tool bars to make a number of other items possible with just one click. The newer versions of Word would need two or three click for each operation thus making the work much more time consuming. Word 2003 with our present computers would certainly be quicker than a later version of Word with a newer computer, even if it was faster.

Also it would be necessary to learn the new interfaces, customise where wanted and install a lot of programs and customise them. Data would also have to be transferred - all of which would take some time. It would take a long time before this would be recovered because of a faster computer especialy now mine is working so much faster again with AVG instead of McAfee. Clearly it will be necesary to take this step at some point. Microsoft will be discontinuing support for Windows XP and Office 2003 in 2014 but probably what will make it necesary to get new equipment soon is more likely to be the introduction of IPv6.

Derek Shaw

windyweather
Former Member
Message 72 of 150

Mine is only two year old and, intermittently, it causes problems with mine.  I've been with Mcafee a very long time and have always championed them, but not any more - we also use it in work and it's a nightmare when it decides to update or scan as it grinds everything to a standstill - you can't have that in business!

Peacekeeper
Message 73 of 150

Windyweather

2 years old so yours is a dual or better core cpu. having a mcshield issue on that spec PC is not common. All mine like that and they hum along . My daughters celeron 1.6ghz sucks .

If it is only during scanning mainly maybe exclude folders with large zip files etc in them that can make mcshield labour. Updates should not spike it much it would be scanning teh new files but that is all.

I will ask around.

All others

The techs are having problems getting interested users to allow them to run the mctrace logging tool ob their PCs. They need several asap so any1 interested please PM me your contact details andbest time for contact and I will pass them on Privately.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/05/12 4:36:57 PM
Dinz
Former Member
Message 74 of 150

Hi All,

Just a quick update on this issue with McShield and high CPU usage, we require some additional logs to validate some findings from our development team , so anybody who still has this issue and are interested to troubleshoot please click on my user image and send me a private message for me to contact and collect  logs.

Thanks,

windyweather
Former Member
Message 75 of 150

89% usage - not scanning - only internet connected - my renewal is due next month - seriously seriously considering not renewing this year until Mcafee sorts themselves out - they know it's an issue - they'll lose a lot of custom if this keeps up!

dougf
Former Member
Message 76 of 150

I use XP Pro and solved the problem of mschield excessive cpu usage is by changing the system properties, Performance Options as follows:

Adjust for best performance of

Processor scheduling : programs

Memory usage: System Cache

slwjghwi
Contributor
Message 77 of 150

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium; Intel core i7-2720QM 2.20GHz, 8GB RAM.

So, not an old nor a weak system.  My emai is Yahoo, on line so the anti-spam should not impact (anyway, it was turned off on installation).  Site advisor is off, as it slowed browsing.

I am heartily sick of McAfee taking over my laptop in recent weeks.  I regularly find my system slowed right down, and acting like its in treacle.  I am also heartily sick of adverts for me to renew my licence, which it has been doing for months, even though I STILL have 155 days left until November.

If it had not been pre-installed on my Dell, it would not be here.  When it expires, unless this gets sorted out, it will be gone.  If this over-use of my system's resources continues, it will be gone.

Peacekeeper
Message 78 of 150

RE popups that is Dell more likely as Mcafee itself seems to hit you with emails more than not at least that was what they did to me and only in last 6 weeks.

Re mcshield that is not normal if you had a p4 single core cpu yes maybe but an I7 no way should that be happening. Is it scanning what is it doing when mcshield acts up?

slwjghwi
Contributor
Message 79 of 150

Next time it pops up I will try to get a screen shot.  It is certainly badged mcafee and takes me to the mcafee web site.

Who knows what it is doing?  All I know is that the last three times I have been wondering why my laptop was so slow, and the fan running so fast, I did a CTRL SHIFT EXC and there was mcshield taking well over half the CPU.  As I type this it is not running, mcagent is; using 0 CPU with 1,464K RAM.

Peacekeeper
Message 80 of 150

Maixielook The issue is single core processors and Mcafee they seem not to work well together. My daughters laptop is not now running Mcafee I am waiting the fix to reload it. The issue I feel was Mcafee was using VMs or other software to mimic old cpus  and this did not show the issue.

They are working still on the issue not that I am happy myself with the time it has taken. The Issue was sept 2011 not 3 years though there were other mcshield issue but not the same cause.

slwjghwi please do include teh popup pic. Check if it is indexing or scanning when you notice the cpu usage

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community