cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 31 of 150

Re: mcshield.exe and 100% CPU still a problem

Ok any1 with this issue if you have a P4 with hyper threading disable it and report if issue still happening. If so there is a way Mcafee can work around this.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 32 of 150

How can I find out if my computer, with an Intel P4, has hyper threading?  What does this do?

If it has, what would be the procedure needed to disable it?

Derek

Peacekeeper
Message 33 of 150

Open in control panel system then  device manager if yours is a P4 and you have 2 cpus shown in the device list you have HT activated. You disable it in the bios of the motherboard.

From  http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292663-28-hyper-threading

What hyperthreading does is allow one physical processor to handle 2 threads simultaneously. What this means is that when the CPU finishes its work for the current clock cycle, if it does it in a quarter of the cycle it sits idle for the remainder of that cycle. Hyperthreading allows it to fill that space with another task, thus that core is performing two tasks in one clock cycle.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/04/12 2:17:57 PM
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 34 of 150

Alternatively download and run Speccy from Piriform. Click on CPU and it will tell you if your P4 has hyperthreading or not. This screenshot is from my XP box, which has a Pentium P4.

Speccy for XP box.JPG

There's no easy way to turn hyperthreading off. It means messing around with BIOS settings, as Tony says.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 35 of 150

DerekShaw wrote:

How can I find out if my computer, with an Intel P4, has hyper threading?  What does this do?

If it has, what would be the procedure needed to disable it?

Derek

Hi Derek,

Download BelArc Advisor, which is completely free and it will tell you exactly what is inside your computer. Don't upload the output.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 36 of 150

Thank you. I looked in the device manager and there is only one CPU shown:-

Intel(R) Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz

so I assume hyper threading is not enabled. - I have not yet looked in the BIOS settings.

After removing some unwanted recently installed freeware and running a full scan with McAfee (which did not find anything) I contacted technical support.

The technician " knew the (McAfee) software fully" and would be able to "fix the problem" by taking remote control of my computer.

This I allowed. He had a good look round. He may have have done something with msconfig but I did not see what as he worked too fast for me to follow, but I got the reminder pop-up when I next booted my computer.

He also removed my freeware version of Malwarebytes (with my permission) which at the end he said was the main cause of the problem. I do not think it was because I have only used this manually from time to time and have had this installed for a long time and with McAfee working without any problem.

At the end he said I should run a full scan with McAfee which "would remove all the viruses I had", even though I had told him I had just completed a full scan before contacting him!

He suggested I reduce the number of icons on my desktop by grouping more of them which would speed up the computer generally- which I have now done.

Whilst I was working with him the 100%CPU problem did not arise.

The position for me now is that it still occurs at times but within 2 or 3 minutes goes away except for IE (version 8). As soon as I try to use IE I get the problem and it is sufficient to make using IE very slow.

Firefox (9.0.1) which is what I mainly use for browsing only gets the problem very occasionly and as long as I do not use IE the 100%CPU problem does not now occur very often and when it does a reboot is not usually necessary.

It would though be good if the problem could be completely fixed and I am still thinking of changing to a different Internet Security program because of it. I don't otherwise want to do this because McAfee has some very useful components which other programs might not have.

Derek

Peacekeeper
Message 37 of 150

Typical tech you should have asked for an escalation a virus is not the issue nor is Malwarebytres.

You got an sr job number?

What our tech we were talking to today felt was if HT was enabled it could be clashing with teh multi threading ability of the new Mcafee where it can scan and read several files at once. Of course with HT off on yours maybe this not the issue.

Check above programs if your CPU is HT capable it will speed up your PC .

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 38 of 150

I take it you mean check the above programs to test my HT set up. Is it not just as easy to go into the BIOS to do this? I assume that I should NOT enable HT even if the procesor supports this?

When exactly did the "new" version of McAfee with its own multi threading ability come into use? I did not have any 100% CPU problem until about two months ago. So if the "new" verion came into use about then it would look as though it was a McAfee update that initiated the problem.

What is puzzling is how much more it affects IE on my computer copared to anything else.

Derek

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 39 of 150

DerekShaw wrote:

I take it you mean check the above programs to test my HT set up. Is it not just as easy to go into the BIOS to do this? I assume that I should NOT enable HT even if the procesor supports this?

When exactly did the "new" version of McAfee with its own multi threading ability come into use? I did not have any 100% CPU problem until about two months ago. So if the "new" verion came into use about then it would look as though it was a McAfee update that initiated the problem.

What is puzzling is how much more it affects IE on my computer copared to anything else.

Derek

Hi Derek,

How you get into BIOS, is to pay attention to the very first computer opening screen. It will tell you what key to tap to access BIOS. Ex. F10, F1, Delete Key or maybe Esc Key to Enter Computer BIOS. It depends on the Motherboard's Manufacturer.

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools on the Menu Bar. Click Internet Options. Click Security. Click Trusted Sites.

McAfee enters information there, which affects Internet Explorer performance.

Ex. If you have gmail.com Email Account and you receive McAfee Forum posts and click to View the full discussion, the action opens up a new Window but just sits there. The action does not take you to the Forum.

Where McAfee is not installed and you clean out Trusted Sites, Internet Explorer works just fine, reading Web-Mail and responding.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 40 of 150

Thank you for the further comments.

In my Internet options, Trusted sites I have :-

about: internet

http://*.mcafee.com

https://*.mcafee.com

and the box is checked for "Requre server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone".

Should I make any changes to this?

I do not have a gmail.com e-mail account but my webmail is via BT Yahoo and I also have Thunderbird (9.0.1 at present) using POP3 to work with my btinternet address and this is the only e-mail client that I use. I do not use any form of Outlook or Outlook Express although I have versions of these on my computer.

Thanks again for you advice.

Derek

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community