cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpars0ns
Contributor
Message 11 of 150

Re: mcshield.exe and 100% CPU still a problem

According to all the postings I've read, on various websites, this problem is hard, if impossible, to fix. I've removed McAfee and I'm using freeware from Microsoft now, called Security Essentials. So far, so good!

newjack
Former Member
Message 12 of 150

You may want to check this out.Avg & Avira did a bit bettor.But You have to be happy with it.They actually did just as good or bettor in repair to some others.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/test-reports/novdec-2011/ this is last report for win 7 though

rpars0ns
Contributor
Message 13 of 150

great info, thanks!

Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 150

Yes been around a while but it is another cause. Yes sorry but I said it.  I and all my family installs (9 )do not see this. All these PCs e5300 cpu and higher and all at least 2 Gb ram and XP or win 7installs. We mods are still pushing for a solution to this issue but i wonder,,,

Are your Pcs within the specs I mentioned or single core P4s with low ram?

Also when this happens is indexing happening that spikes mcshield on mine but only to 10% or so

Will continue talking re this in our Monday meeting.

Finally best to keep all mcshield issues here

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/37468?start=220&tstart=0

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 15 of 150

I've seen a reference to Security Essentials before and it looks quite interesting. Presumably if one uses this it would be necessary to also use the Windows firewall which I have disabled at present so that it does not conflict with McAfee.

Is it necessary to uninstall McAfee to use this or would it be sufficient to just disable everything in McAfee to try it out?

Derek Shaw

Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 150

If you are unhappy uninstall McAfee and install what you want  till this gets sorted .  Best not to make the thread a "which competing product should I use" one.

Really the more who contact support with this the more chance of a fix. When you do escalate the issue .

Derek what are you PC specs? If you posted them before my apologizes but cannot go through all the posts.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 17 of 150

Tony

If you just go to the original post in this thread you will see I have

Dell Dimension 3100 with 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 and 2 Gbyte RAM

Windows XP Professional SP3 kept up to date.

Although several years old this should be more than enough to run McAfee and indeed I did not have this problem until February 2012 when I started this thead. For some reason, despite searching, I did not find the main thread for this topic - maybe a case of "not finding the wood for the trees". As it only started for me then I initially assumed it had something to do with a McAfee update - especially in view of what had happened to my wife's computer some time ago - have a look early in this thread.

I don't want to start a thread about which other product one should I use, I was just interested in your use of MS Security Essentials and how best to try this. Would it not just be sufficient to disable McAfee to try it?

Most of the time McAfee is OK. Internet Explorer (version 8 which is the latest I can use with XP) is affected with the 100% CPU problem much more than Firefox (I currently have 9.0.1) which is my prefered browser so it look as if there is some interaction betwen McAfee and other programs as far as the 100% CPU problem is concerned.

Derek

newjack
Former Member
Message 18 of 150

Well I have had to uninstall McAfee myself more then a couple of times over the last three years.If you are going to try security essentials It is best to uninstall McAfee.You would uninstall through the control panel as normal.But first download MCPR at the top of this page under useful links.If this is what you want to try for a bit until they have an answer?Uninstall McAfee(programs & features) then reboot.Make sure Your windows firewall Is On.Then run Mcpr Reboot again.Then run your free security program of choice.I also would recommend 1 of the free firewalls Like zone alarm or comodo for Xp.You can Google them.Good luck.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 19 of 150

DerekShaw wrote:

Tony

If you just go to the original post in this thread you will see I have

Dell Dimension 3100 with 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 and 2 Gbyte RAM

Windows XP Professional SP3 kept up to date.

Although several years old this should be more than enough to run McAfee and indeed I did not have this problem until February 2012 when I started this thead. For some reason, despite searching, I did not find the main thread for this topic - maybe a case of "not finding the wood for the trees". As it only started for me then I initially assumed it had something to do with a McAfee update - especially in view of what had happened to my wife's computer some time ago - have a look early in this thread.

I don't want to start a thread about which other product one should I use, I was just interested in your use of MS Security Essentials and how best to try this. Would it not just be sufficient to disable McAfee to try it?

Most of the time McAfee is OK. Internet Explorer (version 8 which is the latest I can use with XP) is affected with the 100% CPU problem much more than Firefox (I currently have 9.0.1) which is my prefered browser so it look as if there is some interaction betwen McAfee and other programs as far as the 100% CPU problem is concerned.

Derek

Hi Derek,

McAfee can't be disabled. It must be uninstalled. MS Security Essentials, is only an Anti-Virus product. It does not contain a Firewall. If you don't feel like uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee, use Acronis True Image Home Product, Symantec Ghost, or Image for Windows - at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm . Of course you need a seperate partition or Hard Drive to contain the images.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 20 of 150

Thank you to you and everyone for the advice.

Until a few weeks ago I had no problems at all with McAfee, but a couple of years ago a McAfee update made it impossible for my wife to connect to the internet even after completely uninstalling (including using the MCPR tool) and reinstalling, but my computer was not affected. She then installed another Security Suite. Shortly after that she got a virus which prevented her from accessing her on-line banking but McAfee obviously caught this on my computer (I use the same bank) so I was pleased about this. At present McAfee is not too bad and when the 100% CPU rears its head I only have to be a little patient for it to clear (so far). So I now have to consider everything before taking further steps.

Thanks to everyone again.

Derek

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community