cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 1 of 27

mcafee security center did not update since 12/19/16

I noticed on two PCs, running Windows 7 (with all current updates), had not updated since 12/19/16 and scheduled scans were not done.  (This version of McAfee still does scheduled scans).

I tried to open McAfee Security Center by double clicking on the desktop icon, and it would not open. Did this several times.

There were many events 7000 and 7009 in the event log.

Event 7009 Service Control Manager, A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the McAfee Platform Services to connect.

Event 7000 Service Control Manager, The McAfee Platform Services service failed to start due to the following error:  The Service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.    Detail error was  %%1053.

I restarted the PC.  McAfee said last update was 12/19/16.  No scheduled scans were done.  I started a manual update, it said it needed to close, and then it hung.

Restarted the PC, tried again, the manual update hung.

Restarted the PC again. and a manual update was successful.  DAT is now at version 2841, last update 12/26/16.

This happened on 2 PCs.

Most recent change to my configuration was to turn off the McAfee toolbar in Outlook, since it seemed to be causing  a hang at startup, and I don't use outlook for mail, so do not need it.

Why?

26 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 27

Re: mcafee security center did not update since 12/19/16

​,

Why it took so many times to restart,for the engine versions to take/become current could be due to various reasons. However please know that you are current as mine is also 2841.0 also. Please allow it time to see if it Auto Updates today, assuming you indeed have your settings as such.

As long as your McAfee User Interface is showing 'Your computer is secure'. you should be okay. However if for some reason you experience such again. It may be beneficial to do a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall.

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft or alternatively you can contact Technical Support 24/7.  https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact

You may wish to run the latest McAfee Virtual Technician as well. Which you can obtain from the link I inserted to reach Technical Support.

All the very Best,

Cliff/CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 3 of 27

Note, Security center version is 15.0.2063, updated 12/7/16.

Update did occur today, now at DAT 2842, 12/27/16.

The problem was that the user interface would not open and the event log showed 7000 and 7009 events at the time I attempted to open it.

After PC resetart, when the user interface did open,  it indicated my pc was secure.  Yet there had been no updates since 11/19.

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 4 of 27

Correction, there had been no updates since 12/19/16.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 27

, my SecurityCenter > About is even "worse" than yours where everything apart from Vulnerability Scanner reflects 18/10/16 - the day I reinstalled the software.

VirusScan does however reflect engine version 2842 as does yours.  Note DAT's per se are no longer used by the consumer software, that number is an engine version.

I think with the new MSC v15.x the dates only change when there are major software updates.

Btw, MVS reflects 10/12/16.

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 6 of 27

Yes, I meant Engine version of the virus-scan, not DAT.  In any case,  it had not been updated since 12/19/16, even though the user interface said I was secure.  I think the engine version or virus scan gets updated almost daily.  The other components do not  update as often.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 27

It seems all is working okay. Actually my (Version/Build Update) was 10/17/2016.  My Engine Version is 2842.0 ​same as yours. In other words, you are correct that the Anti-Virus engine versions change usually on a daily basis. However it will not reflect the particular day/date as it did in prior versions.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 27

Exactly.

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 9 of 27

It does indicate the update and engine date. I am unable to copy it here.

I also know updates were not done, since the usual two mfehidk 516 events in the event log were not there after 12/19.  So it was not even trying to update.

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 10 of 27

This is happening again.   Windows 7 did some updates today.  I was unable to start the Security Center, and the event logs showed the 7000 and 7009 events mentioned in my original post.  Tried several reboots, and the security center would start.   But Engine version was 2862, from 1/17/17 (two days ago).  

Tried to do a manual update, and it hung "checking for updates".    Same 7000 and 7009 events were in the event log.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community