cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 1 of 18

fix problem doesn't fix, no connection

Toolbar alert says computer is not protected. When I go to the security center and click on Fix, I later receive a message that the problem is fixed. However, I still receive an alert that the computer is not protected.

Now when I attempt open a Firefox, I receive a message that the computer is not protected. I have tried to select fix on the security center and that does not work. I am able to connect to the Internet but not any site that deals with Mcafee or other anti-virus or anti-spyware site. Therefore, I cannot connect to the malwarebytes web site or the superantispyware web site.

I'm using Windows XP.
VirusScan version 13.0
engine 5300.2777
DAT 5450.0000

Wayne
Tags (1)
17 Replies
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 2 of 18

RE: fix problem doesn't fix, no connection

I also just discovered that I cannot update my Microsoft security. Cannot access the page.

Wayne
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 3 of 18

Hi

please go to safemode with networking and try accessing the websites for malwarebytes and superantispyware...

to go to safemode with networking... (internet won't work if you are on a wireless connection)
1. shut the computer down
2. the moment you turn it on start tapping on F8 until you get to windows advanced option
3. choose safemode with networking and press enter
4. choose the operating system and press enter
5. login using the administrator account
6. and then try accessing the sites for superantispyware and malwarebytes hopefully you'd be able to get to the sites

hope this helps...
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 4 of 18

RE: Hi

I tried as you suggested. Still not able to connect to malwarebytes and superantispyware. Also tried mcafee and microsoft updates. Not able to connect to any of them. I was able to connect to other sites but just not any site dealing with anti-virus, anti-spyware or updates.

Wayne
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

It's possible that you're infected.

If that's not the case:
McAfee's 'FIX' doesn't always fix things. If there is a problem, you're usually better off trying to fix whatever is wrong without clicking on 'FIX'. (like enabling system guards)
Have you tried the Virtual Technician ? It may help, or it may do the opposite. I understand you can download it, but in at least some McAfee products the Virtual Technician is part of the security center. Have you tried that ?

Maybe someone can help if you post whatever problem you were trying to 'FIX'.

Can you try a technical support chat ? A link to that should be somewhere on this forum.
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 6 of 18

I have tried Virtual Technician but it will not run. I have not yet phoned tech support chat. The problem I am trying to fix is that I continually receive a message that the computer is not protected. And I cannot access particular web sites to try to correct the problem.

Wayne
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

'Computer not protected' doesn't necessarily have to indicate a real problem.
You can set the security center to ignore certain warnings.
Do have any particular information about why the computer would not be protected ? Such information would usually be visible in the security center.
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 8 of 18

On the right side of the page, the message is "detection signature file is between 8 and 29 days old." I have been receiving this message for several weeks. The biggest problem seems to be that I cannot access particular websites. For example, I cannot access malwarebytes or superantispyware or the Mcafee site or Microsoft updates. It seems that I am not able to access any site that deals with anti-virus, anti-spyware or system updates. The Mcafee SiteAdvisor is also not working. It's grayed out on any site I visit.

Wayne
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 9 of 18

Went to tech support chat but Rajesh was not able to help solve the access problems.
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

First: are you certain that your date and time settings are correct ?

If I ASSUME that you're not infected:

Usually McAfee updates automatically.
In the security center, there is an option to update or whatever it's called. Have you tried that ? (Maybe reboot, then when you get the message about the signature file, go to the security center, click on configure, select warnings and tick the appropriate box to ignore this 'problem', and then try the manual update ?)

Alternative, at your own risk: completely uninstall McAfee, using these instructions (from Ex Brit ?):
1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, not from any CD that you may have.

You could also try removing the browser history, keep in mind that it erases form data, passwords etc.

Of course, it's possible that your system has been corrupted, and your best option may be a complete reformat of the harddrive and reinstallation of the operating system, drivers, programs, data etc. That should also work if you are infected with malware.

All suggestions at your own risk of course.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community