Did you mean: 
rebeccaf
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

error msg of Internet connection unavailable when updating software

hello

I own a Toshiba computer
I have only had McAfee software as the primary source of computer protection
I am just purchased a subscription for McAfee VirusScan Plus and am trying to update the software on my computer BUT

I am receiving an error message of
Internet connection unavailable
We cannot download your McAfee softward because we are having trouble accessing the Internet

However, I am online with a connection - Highspeed, cable

I am unable to use the McAfee Virtual Technician because I receive the following msg:
McAfee Virtual Technician cannot check your computer
Login as administrator to install McAfee Virtual Technician

Would someone please assist?
5 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

RE: error msg of Internet connection unavailable when updating software

Hi

Please clarify,

What is the Operating system (OS) you use?
Did you made any recent change to computer in the recent past like system restore or installation of any application/software?
Did you have the Norton software in the computer previously?
Steps:
Try to ping the Downlaod.mcafee.com and post the IP address you get: (Start – Run-CMD- type ping download.mcafee.com)
Check if you have the proxy enabled (Start –run-control panel –Click on switch to classic view - Internet option- click on connection Tab-click LAN settings button –make sure you don’t have the check mark in the proxy server)
If you had the Norton please RUN the Norton removal tool and then re-start the computer

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
rebeccaf
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Hi thank you for your assistance.

I have never had Norton.

What am I looking for in the msg when I ping the download?

And I need further explanation as what to do with proxy, (start, run...) I can't click LAN settings button, but I looked everywhere to be sure that have a check mark in the proxy server.

Help!

Thanks
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Hi,
You have to check for the IP address that you get reply from when you ping Download.mcafee.com in the Command prompt window. We have to check if you are using any proxy connection for Internet

if the issue persists I would also recommend you to check with a McAfee technical support chat department for further trouble shooting steps http://service.mcafee.com/ServiceSel...S&pt=1&st=CHAT
Policeman
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

SC9.0 Installer Unable to Access Internet

I too am having the same problem of McAfee unable to access the Internet.

Out of the blue, McAfee told me I had to Fix problems. Then it said it couldn’t fix the problems and it instructed me to download a new copy. I downloaded DMSetup-Serial.exe and it throws an error:

Internet Connection Unavailable – We can’t download your McAfee software because we’re having trouble accessing the Internet. Please make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try again.

According to the McAfee Virtual Technician, there is one problem that McAfee cannot resolve and that is, “Unable to download files from McAfee server.” In the Diagnostic Log, two files are incorrect: Excluded Files Present
C:\Documents and Settings\...\Cookies\*McAfee*.*
C:\Docume~1\...\Locals~1\Temp\\*

…and three Systems are incorrect
Clear DNS resolver cache
Unable to download files from http://download.mcafee.com/products/mvt/xmlfiles/connectivity_test.txt
Temporary internet files need to be deleted

I’ve opened four cases (each the same issue) with McAfee in hopes of connecting to an online Tech, but the GoToAssist program (the chat app) seems to be stuck initializing. So here I am.

Other things I've tried...
<> Cleaned out cookies, Temp Internet Files, and all temp folders. I have 3.6 GB of space left. I’ve even reset the IE settings to default.

<> Run both superantispyware & malwarebyte’s programs. They found nothing.

<> Edited the hosts file to include the following…
69.299.33.21 bin.mcafee.com
120.30.243.19 nai.com

<> Entered Safe Mode and deleted the C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\DAT directory contents.

<> Removed all checkmarks from my LAN Settings in IE7 and even downloaded IE8.

As McAfee is my firewall and virus software, I’ve done all of the above both with and without Windows Firewall enabled.

System: Lenovo R61 laptop running Windows XP SP3

I obviously have Internet connection. What could be causing McAfee to think otherwise? (BTW, on a different PC in my house, McAfee is working fine!)

Any help greatly appreciated!
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

RE: SC9.0 Installer Unable to Access Internet

Closing this thread since we are working with a new one
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community