cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarveye
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

cant install software- mcafee blocks - cant disable mcafee!

ive seen similar threads but they dont seem to apply to me.

i have mcafee security centre but it is needing updated, i plan on doing this soon when i have enough cash!

in the mean time i have a working but not updated version running, and i want to install some software files on my computer, have a .rar file and im trying to extract installation files from it, one of the important .exe files keeps getting blocked by mcafee which thinks its a trojan, ive tryed all sorts to disable mcafee but i cant stop it blocking it!!!!

im tearing my hair out!
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

RE: cant install software- mcafee blocks - cant disable mcafee!

I can just quote what I normally tell people and hope it applies to your un-updated version.

You can't exit the Security Center but you can turn off VirusScan and Firewall.

To temporarily turn off VirusScan do the following:

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Computer & Files (top left)
You can disable VirusScan in the right-hand module and tell it for how long.

For the firewall just do the 1st 3 steps above and then select Internet & Network on top left.

Normally you wouldn't need to turn off the firewall though and I don't recommend doing that unless you first enable Windows Firewall

If that doesn't work I need to know what version of Security Center you have.

What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - right-click it and go to each application "About" and post the details.
If it is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.
jarveye
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

i did actually see that thread, or perhaps a similar one, as i couldnt see for the life of me how it worked before, but ive had another look and it seemed to be right there in front of me!

thanks for your time, much appreciated!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

LOL, that happens to me all the time. Good luck. Let me know if it works.
Brauwin
Contributor II
Message 5 of 5

Re: cant install software- mcafee blocks - cant disable mcafee!

Oh nein! Ich kann mir vorstellen, wie frustrierend das für Sie sein muss. Sie haben also McAfee Security Centre auf Ihrem Computer installiert, aber es muss aktualisiert werden. Sie hoffen, dass Sie das bald tun können, wenn Sie genug Geld haben. In der Zwischenzeit läuft eine ältere Version der Software und Sie versuchen einige Softwaredateien zu installieren. Sie haben eine.rar-Datei und versuchen, die Installationsdateien zu entpacken, aber eine der wichtigen.exe-Dateien wird immer wieder von McAfee blockiert, weil es sie für einen Trojaner hält. z.B. Sie haben alles versucht, um McAfee zu deaktivieren, aber Sie können es nicht davon abhalten, die Datei zu blockieren. Ich kann verstehen, warum Sie sich die Haare raufen!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community