cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mqe
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

auto-update is a disaster - my McAfee is paralyzed How to fix?

Tonight (4-21-10) my McAfee did some sort of auto-update.  When it was done (or appeared to be done), the old square icon with the red "M" inside had changed to a red shield icon with a white "M" inside.  But when I click on this new icon, NOTHING happens.  It's like the update didn't finish or something.  As far as I know, I have NO functioning antivirus protection now!  I have Windows XP servicepak3  My old McAfee ran fine with it.  I've paid these guys money for my AV protection, and they do some friggin' auto-update that renders it useless?  Has anyone got any idea how to get this fixed?  I'd be happy to go back to my old McAfee protection that worked fine. P{LEASE, SOMEONE HELP!!!

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: auto-update is a disaster - my McAfee is paralyzed How to fix?

There was a bad update which has since been rectified but some machines simply seized up as a result.  Boot into Safe Mode and go to C:\Program Files\VirusScan\DAT and delete its contents.

Reboot and right-click the taskbar icon to update immediately.

If that fails you can either try a System Restore to before yesterday's update or go again into Safe Mode and initiate an uninstall of the entire product.

Reboot and re-download from your acocunt.  This time that update wont be included.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/04/10 8:15:50 EDT AM
Michel367
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Hey,

Same problem here, but after I have deleted my DAT file I can't even my "M"on my taskbar has also disappeared. How do I go about it then?

I also tried deleting my whole Mcafee, but it has frozen up and I can't even access it.

Message was edited by: Michel367 on 4/22/10 7:50:47 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Can't you open SecurityCenter form the shortcut in Start/All Programs?  If so you can initiate an update from there or click "Fix" if a red warning is displayed.

If not then run the MCPR removal tool listed under Useful Links above, reboot and reinstall from your account.

Michel367
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Nope. It just won't open and I can't use the tool either because I can't access internet also.

This updat has paralized my whole computer and I really need it for my work.

BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

From a working computer, download http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/tools/SDAT5958_EM.exe and save it to a removable media (eg: Thumb Drive, CDROM).

1.    Start the affected computer in Safe Mode (When booting, press F8 and choose Safe Mode).

2.    Copy the SDAT5958_EM.EXE file to your desktop.

3.    Run the SDAT5958_EM.EXE tool.

4.    Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.

5.    Delete the DAT folder.

6.    Restart the computer normally.

7.    After the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Hi Michel367 ,

If you'r not able to complete the above , please follow these steps :

Please follow these steps and update me on the status;

1.      Start the computer in Safe Mode. (When starting press F8 and pick Safe Mode)
2.     Open My Computer
3.      Double Click C:
4.      Double Click Program Files
5.      Double Click McAfee
6.      Double Click VirusScan
7.      Delete the DAT folder
8.      Press Click Start>Run Type cmd and Click OK
9.      In the command prompt window type CD\
10.    Now type dir svchost.exe /s /b
11.     See the screenshot below. The command will return the location of svchost files.
12.     C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe is very common on XP so hopefully you find it there.
13.     Once you find it copy it from that location to C:\Windows\system32
14.     For example copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe c:\windows\system32
15.  Once the file is copied reboot
16.     If functionality is restored uninstall and reinstall McAfee to get updated DATs.

Do revert back if you have any issue performing the same, and tell me exactly where the problems occurs s sot that we could cope up from there.

Regards,
Dinesh K

on 4/22/10 7:48:56 AM GMT-06:00
Michel367
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

@ BalaSGS

Have been trying that all day, but it just won't work.

@DineshK

Could not find the svchost.exe file on my pc, but can't remove Mcafee either as I cannot access it.

Do you guys have another solution so I can get the programm off of my pc without me having to get access to the program the normal way and without having the use of internet?

gn434us
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

@Michel367 

I had a weird problem as well.

I did not get the "clock screen",but only lost the internet, and paste option nor could I open Mcafee.

I booted to safe mode and then ran the Mcafee DAT removal tool.

When I started the computer, I got paste and the internet back, but the clock screen appeared, which I was able to stop through run->shutdown -a.

Then after a few minutes of work it showed the clock again, and now shutdown -a, didn't help, and I lost internet access as well as paste.

Mcafee did sort of worked.

I entered safe mode again, and the key thing in my case was to delete the DAT folder in safe mode after running the Mcafee DAT removal tool yet again.

Then, when i restarted my computer (through task mange->shut down), I got control over Mcafee and disabled the real-time scanning thing.

After that it worked for a while, but it wouldn't update the DAT file ("Your system is up to date" or something of that sort, when the DAT version was 5958).

So I reinstalled Mcafee from the website, and then everything was back to normal (I hope ).

Hope it Helps.

p.s: sorry for any typos, English is not my first language.

Michel367
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Really a weird thing, but my problem is still that I can't get on internet and I have now decided that I will save everything of "value"and just simply format the HD and install everything all over again.

I'm really really mad and fedup with this whole thing. It has allready cost me a full day of income.

Message was edited by: Michel367 on 4/22/10 12:56:56 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community