Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joolsmeister
Former Member
Message 1 of 43

Your computer is not protected

Hey folks,

I'm having real trouble with my Security center product. I've read through a lot of the posts here and a lot of people seem to have the same problem.
THis only started around 2 weeks ago for no apparent reason and informs me that both my computer and files , and e-mail and instant messaging are not protected. This happens sporadically and is becoming a real bore now. To be honest though i am now getting really worried that i have a virus.
I have run virtual technician which shows no problems and have even used the online support option and chatted to a very patient representative who told me to uninstall and then re-install. ( of which the first attempt failed due to something to do with signature file being more than 30 days old).
I am running an acer 8930G laptop with Vista home premium ( 32 bit ) and have a subscription to mcafee until 2011. I have no other virus or firewall programs installed although i do have PC Pitstop Optimize 3.

Can somebody please help. Getting to the end of my tether with this now.

Thanks
😞
Jools
42 Replies
mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 43

Re: Your computer is not protected

Hello joolsmeister,

It sounds like one of two things are happening, either the VirusScanner engine is stopping or the DAT files are getting messed up.

To know for sure, when the issue happens again can you open the securitycenter and past it into a post.

I am looking for the information on the middle right that indicates what may be wrong. If this doesn't help we may need to gather so application logs.

davehorne
Former Member
Message 3 of 43

I'm using Security Center 9 and was told today that my computer was also not protected.  My 'problem' was easy to solve and it solved itself more or less.  I simply clicked on 'Fix' and the program started a scan.  I'm guessing my problem was related to the scheduling of the scan (which I have for 4 AM for some reason).

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 43

Hello Dave,

I think the issue relating to the protection status and fix button have little to do with the timed scan. More of a conicidence.

If you clicked fix and all is well now and in the future great. If the issue returns and you have to click fix this is not normal.

Keep an eye on it and let me know.

jesdallas
Former Member
Message 5 of 43

I'm having exactly the same problem.  I contacted support and reinstalled the package as instructed and again I had the same situation, I got the message the computer is not protected.  Pushing the "fix" button seem to correct the problem.  This is scary.  The logs are clean with no indication of any infections.   What do I do now?

ddavis400
Former Member
Message 6 of 43

I am having the same problem, says I am not protected, I tell it to fix, and it says all is well.  Then I shut the pc down or go away for a while and come back, and it is back to not being protected.  Been doing this for a couple of weeks - no event I am aware of that may have set it off.  Tried chat support, and was told I may have a virus and wanted to sell me the $89 scan and fix.  Said I could scan it myself and have done several online based scans including the McAfee Free Scan - all say I am clean.

What file do you need to see from the Security Center?

jesdallas
Former Member
Message 7 of 43

Happend again, just out of the blue.  Nothing in the log files.  Here is a screen shot.

Jubo
Contributor III
Message 8 of 43

Apart from McAfee's software is there any other security related software installed? Maybe Spybot and you have the Teatimer module enabled? See this website to disable the teatimer. This module doesn't play nicely with McAfee's software.

Or try to do an online scan to see if there's an infection. You could try the online scan here.

Otherwise, uninstall McAfee's software throgh Windows "Control Panel" and then use the McAfee uninstall tool, which you can find here: How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products ...

jesdallas
Former Member
Message 9 of 43

No other sercurity software is present other than what comes with Vista.  I did the removal and reinstal routine first and this seems to have made no difference.   I really don't think I'm infected. 

ddavis400
Former Member
Message 10 of 43

I also uninstalled-reinstalled McAfee, made no difference.  Had Adaware when problem first started, uninstalled that before I did anything else.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community