Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coexiist
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Wont Install On Vista x64

Alright, here goes..

I just bought a new PC today actually, and decided to download Mcafee Virus Scan plus 2009 for some okay protection on my computer. I bought it online and I downloaded the installer or whatever, and tried running it and All I get is, "The version of windows installed on this machine is not supported, please refer to the product documentation for a list of supported operating systems.

I'm running Windows vista SP1 (64 bit OS)
I have a DSL connection and all.

I went into the installer properties, and tried running it under the right compatibility mode but there is only windows 95-windows server 2003 SP1. There is no listed compatibility mode for vista.

What I mean by installer is, the DMSetup.

I'm not sure If I need to return it or what, I'd like to use it but no matter what I try it isn't working out for me. :/null
11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

RE: Wont Install On Vista x64

This area is really for testing posts only....welcome.

Vista x64 is supported. But was this an upgrade from XP x64?

Try the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

Don't worry if you don't find any of those folders.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

If you are McAfee direct customer, go to https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx and log in to download your McAfee products.
coexiist
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Well I totally understand this is for testing only, but I'm desperate, just like every other person in here and I do apologize.

Okay first off, I went under control panel and there was no Add or remove programs, which is very STRANGE to me.
I deleted all the Mcafee stuff I could find though, and ran that nifty program to delete remnants.

I then went to my account and downloaded virus scan directly and double clicked it after it was done.. but its still saying the same thing.

I don't understand whats wrong here.
coexiist
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Also this was no upgrade from XP x64.. straight vista, I bought this PC brand spankin' new from the store today.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Sorry, Add or Remove has been replaced in Vista's Control Panel by "Programs/Uninstall a Program".

That's very strange as I assure you that Vista x64 is supported, if the 2008/9 products are downloaded from your account. Some older store bought CD's had issues, but they've been sorted out.

Perhaps you should contact Technical Support Chat, linked in my signature or top left of the page and have them check things out.

Meanwhile I'll flag this issue.

Moved this to Security Center 9 - 2009 as that's what should now be downloading from the website.
coexiist
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Alright, I found a Mcafee folder and deleted it, used the tool again and re booted. re downloaded and tried running the file, now a blank white screen is bordered by the grey mcafee bordering and the X in the top right hand corner is visible but thats it. now what?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

Are you using IE8 Beta? If so get rid of it. Wait until it's final and then it should be OK.

I forgot to tell you that for the 1st 30 days McAfee offers FREE PHONE SUPPORT: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?p=532050#post532050
coexiist
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

I dont think its the beta, I bought the 39.99 Virus Scan Plus 2009 on the web site and downloaded it for the first time on this computer and it didnt work..

But to be safe I guess, how could i check if its the beta?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 12

No, I asked if you were using Internet Explorer 8 beta....? If so ditch it. But you may want to try the free phone support.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 12

Altered the thread title by the way.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community