cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MWDC
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

Windows 7 crash with Security Center 10 upgrade

What happened to others here happened to me today. I had to Recover and remove all McAfee products in order for my PC to work. When will it be safe to install Security Center 10?

15 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 16

Re: Windows 7 crash with Security Center 10 upgrade

Hello MWDC,

Could you please let me know what is the processor installed in your machine . Also let me know what did the system go on a blue screen after the install ?

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

MWDC
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

Hi Dinesh,

i have a Dell Studio XPS 8000, Intel Core i7-860, 64 bit, windows 7.

i got the blue screen that shut off computer and then could only reboot in safe mode until i uninstalled McAfee.

thanks!

snba
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

I have the same problem - bluescreen and had to recover using safe mode. Have not uninstalled any McAfee, but am asked to re-install VirusScan.

I have a Dell Inspiron 546 with AMD AthlonLE-1660 2.8GHZ processor.

What do I do?

Markman1
Former Member
Message 5 of 16

I am experiencing Windows 7 freezing up on my Dell XPS with intel quad core proc.  Haven't specifically narrowed it down to Sec. Center but that is my prime target now.

tinamay
Former Member
Message 6 of 16

Same thng happened on my ACCER laptop windows 7 64 bit, blue screen of death somthing about irql driver is less than or equal to blah blah , had to restore thru safemode to previous date , and right away it updates and wants to restart and blam same thing. Restored it again but took it off network so it could not update. Starts and restarts no problem, but as soon as I let it update crash. Unistalled Mcafee, and reinstalled no help as soon as new version loads crash. I ran virtual technician and it can not even see Mcafee even if I run it before I let it update (update restart window is popped up and waiting)

Stuipd Mcafee, Went on line (not allowing update) and tech support says they have to escilate to higher tech support and they will call me. How do I get a refund and install snortin Norton or Avast?

AMD athlon II X2 M300

Message was edited by: tinamay on 05/09/10 3:41:01 CDT PM
wes
Former Member
Message 7 of 16

I have the same problem as the other posts above, however, I do not get the Blue Screen of Death.  It boots to the windows login page, but before you can even move the mouse to select the account jumps to a blank desktop screen and plays a grinding sound through the speakers.  This began immediately after it installed the update and asked me to restart.  I can restart in safe mode, however I am reluctant to restore the computer as this will disable a number of other programs that will be vastly more difficult to get working again.  Is there a way to just roll back the update?  I'm running windows 7 on an intel core i7 970 dell studio xps 9100. 

tinamay
Former Member
Message 8 of 16

Now they say it is a know problem on windows 7 64 bit three more weeks to fix and I have to remove security centre or it will keep happening. I am going to remove it install something else and ask for a refund. Online tech support said they could not reinstall old version and stop auto update until fix its out, they recommend turing on windows firewall. Nope, I am moving on.

Innerchild
Former Member
Message 9 of 16

I have the same configuration as the original poster with the same crashes when McAfee recently updated. This is not the first time it has happened.  If I uninstall McAfee, it will be replaced by Norton.  I've used McAfee for many years but I find this too annoying to have to keep going through.  I still have a year left on my subscription, but that doesn't make up for the lost time, effort, and frustration this has created.

WJG
Former Member
Message 10 of 16

Back in August I awoke to find my Dell XPS 8100 running windows 7 64 bit with intel I7 CPU, saying that it had an update and needed to be restarted.  When I restarted it had the BSOD. The only way I could boot up is in the safe mode.  I called dell and they imediately wanted to wipe out my system and start new.  I argued I would prefer a system restore attempt.  It worked for a month and again the update screen and BSOD.  This time I called Dell they knew it was caused by MacAffe.  He reinstalled the original version and disabled the updates.  They gave me a number to call Macaffe and they uninstalled Macafee and said I would receive an email when fixed, about a week.  This has been a month and still no fix.

When will I get Macafee back?

Message was edited by: WJG on 10/8/10 3:20:43 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community