cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam8988378
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Win-Patrol with Security Center?

I have SC 9.3. I also have Quicktime, which is determined to add itself to the startup group. As I only use it for itunes once or twice a week, my old, underpowered computer doesn't need useless programs running. I know a program which keeps this from happening http://geekswithblogs.net/thibbard/archive/2005/03/21/QuickTimeKiller.aspx , but this requires me to have .NET running, so it's exchanging one program for another. I used to have Ad-Watch (pt of Ad-Aware) which kept Quicktime caged, but had to uninstall this as it doesn't play nicely with the Security Center. A long time ago I used to have the free version of Win-Patro. It also kept programs from adding themselves to startup, and used few resources. Would I again be able to use Win-Patrol with Security Center? If not, is there some function in SC that I might have missed which would make Quicktime behave?
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: Win-Patrol with Security Center?

I don't see why not. I still have it installed in my XP OS's and no problems so far.

If you have Vista there is also "Software Explorer" in Windows Defender/Options where startup programmes can be disabled.
sam8988378
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks

I have XP amd didn't notice Defender being as vigilant as Win-Patrol or Ad-Watch, but have toyed with options & will see what it can do (it did notice my unchecking qttask from startup in msconfig).
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

RE: Thanks

qttask is Quicktime? I dislike Apple software intensely because it always thinks it takes a priority over everything else. If you have Quicktime player look up "Quicktime Alternative" using Google...far less obtrusive.
sam8988378
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

quicktime alternative will satiate itunes?

I've heard of quicktime alternative (in my now-solved quest to import video to my ipod deemed unworthy of converting or importing to my ipod by itunes). Will itunes run with quicktime alternative? Will I still have to start Bonjour to open itunes?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

RE: quicktime alternative will satiate itunes?

That I don't know I'm afraid. I no longer have an iPod and any Apple software installed.

Best ask those sort of questions on an Apple or iTunes support forum.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community