cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
winewbie
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Wi-Fi Network Security Question

I have the McAfee 12 in 1 Total Protection package. I have a Wi-Fi internet connection and I want to know if I am protected or not and what other security software or programs I might need. I am concerned that other computers that are logged into the network may have access to my computer. I do not understand how this Wi-Fi connection works but I can see other computers on My Network. I am using a desktop computer in my home. Why can I see other computers on My Network? Can they get into my computer? How can I block them without shutting down my Wi-Fi connection? :confused:
2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

RE: Wi-Fi Network Security Question

You are protected as any other computers are regarded as "guests" on the network. Windows itself doesn't allow other computers access unless you specifically say so, so you are safe.

I don't run a network myself but assuming you installed EasyNetwork as part of your package it should help you set it up, if you have other machines that you wish to connect with.

Basically McAfee can distinguish between computers that are protected and those which aren't.

See the user guide, page 198 onwards.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/manuals/en-us/MTP_userguide_2008.pdf

To read that you need to have Adobe Reader, get the latest version from Abobe

Also look under McAfee Network Manager in "Help" in the Security Center.
apullat
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

RE: Wi-Fi Network Security Question

On every network, you're likely to have computers you trust and those you do not - if as I assume you are using a wireless network then there are likely to intruders on this network unless you have this network secured explicitly. If this network is not your own, then not trusting it using the McAfee firewall will keep you safe, but if you trust the network, and there are intruders on it, some of your content will be exposed to the intruder.

1) To verify if there are intruders on the network, open the Manage Network tab in McAfee Security Center. If you see PCs there that you are not aware of, you have a problem.
2) Is your wireless network secure? Have you made use of encryption/authentication methods such as WEP/WPA to secure the wireless network? If so, is your passphrase something that is easy to guess (like 1234?)
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community