cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 26

Re: Why are Icons (Start Menu) still reappearing after ver. 11.0.654 install?

Jump to solution

adrianrp wrote:

You are lucky to have that version... UK user here still on 11.0.649 and waiting for an update. McAfee - sort it out!

see https://community.mcafee.com/message/224794#224794

adrianrp
Former Member
Message 12 of 26

Jump to solution

McAfee did not automatically update the fix for the desktop icon issue, I had to reinstall the software myself. Then, the fix did not work until I manually changed the Registry. Makes me wonder if they cannot even update their own software correctly what are they doing with the critical anti-virus updates?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 26

Jump to solution

OK that's too bad as it certainly should have worked OK and sorry it didn't.   A small number of people have reported they need the registry fix after the update came in and this far we have no idea why.    This update had nothing to do with protection which all come in normally.

msfromaz
Former Member
Message 14 of 26

Jump to solution

Sorry, but I have a really stupid question (or, a naive user question).  I've followed the links to the McAfee site where I can supposedly get the latest version (11.0.654), but I have no idea how to actually *get* it.  I log into my account, go to my product, and all I see are versions I can buy.  I'm certainly not going to purchase this again, so how do I get the new version to install (I'm currently still running version 11.0.649)?  I've tried launching the security center and checking for updates, but nothing downloads.  Very frustrating...

Also, what are the registry settings that some people are reporting that need to be changed?  Thanks for your help!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 26

Jump to solution

Hi,

On your account page don't you see a Download link?   (Click to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

The registry fix is for when you've received the update but the fix didn't work which has happened in a few instances.   So please can you try the above and then tell me what version of SecurityCenter is installed.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open it and then click 'About' at top right.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/01/12 10:54:49 EST AM
msfromaz
Former Member
Message 16 of 26

Jump to solution

OK, I found it and downloaded the update.  Security center now shows that I am on version 11.0.654.  I hope this takes care of the problem!  Thanks!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 26

Jump to solution

Let us hope so.  😉

kipper-feet
Contributor
Message 18 of 26

Jump to solution

Me too...and now almost 13 months of this nonsense!

Am using McAfee Security Center Version 11 (Build 11.0.654) last updated 18th January 2012.

The horrible Desktop Icon is long gone but the miserable and unrelenting McAfee entry in the my Start Menu persists as it has done for more than a year now.  I've worn out the Delete button trying to get rid of it.

The recent upgrade to Build 11.0.654 was promised to fix both the Desktop Icon and the Start Menu issues.  They got it 50% right.  So what to do about this self-replicating annoyance of having a McAfee folder regenerate itself in the All Programs folder of my Start Menu everytime the McAfee Security System updates itself.

I'd really want to take an ax to it but that would be stupid huh?

I'd really want to believe what the Moderators here and the Technical Support Reps at McAfee tell me, but that would be stupid also huh?

Am just venting in the hope that someone who cares and is capable with real POWER to do something about this teeny-weeny little problem is actually reading this.

I quit my religion after 28 years because of similarly empty promises as well...he's not actually coming back is he...ever?

Sincerely,

Richard

Surrey, BC, Canada.

Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 26

Jump to solution

I asked about it today in our call and though it was promised it is not going to be done soon. There are other more pressing issues and a lot of software redo their start menu items. (so I was told)

Not what you wanted to hear sorry. You can add the suggestion to include this as an idea in the ideas area if it gets heaps of bumps that might stir them up.  I did send it as a bug report to the beta developers in case they could fix it in 2012. Did this as a backup plan.

jabouy
Former Member
Message 20 of 26

Jump to solution

Well you've done your bit Tony.

Not the ideal answer but I realise you've done your best on it.

I do have a workaround which basically involves creating a zero byte dummy file in place of the folder then marking it as read-only and hidden.

It seem that if there is a file with the same name as the folder then Security Suite seems happy enough that the folder exists and doesn't recreate it,  Being as there is a check in the code which looks for an existing icon it indicates strongly that this is intended behaviour rather than a bug.

Whilst the icons are merely an annoyance the idea that the suite behaves contrarily to my express wishes is a major disappointment.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community