cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jabouy
Former Member
Message 1 of 26

Why are Icons (Start Menu) still reappearing after ver. 11.0.654 install?

Jump to solution

I'm starting a new thread as this was mentioned in threads relating to the desktop reappearing icon 'bug'.  This has already been kindly confirmed on a thread not directly related to this specific issue by 'Peacekeeper' as being still apparent on his 'beta' build.

The Desktop Icon issue has been solved for most people, including myself, in this build however the Folder and Icon created in the Start Menu (Windows 7) are still re-appearing after being moved or deleted by the user.

This behaviour has been mentioned by the Mods as being caused by the same 'bug' as was causing the desktop icon to re-appear, therefore as the issue still persists it must still be a 'bug'.  I'm still of the opinion though this is deliberate and tiresome policy from McAfee to anybody that doesn't particularly want shortcuts where McAfee insists on putting them.

Can anyone inform me then if there is currently a workaround to delete the unwanted entry in my Start menu which currently, as per the previous desktop shortcut issue, refuses to be deleted without replicating itself.  This isn't merely the minor annoyance of an unwanted shortcut but more of an issue about a security application behaving exactly like the malware (i.e. counter to my express wishes) that I use it to defend against.

Thank You.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 23 of 26

Re: Why are Icons (Start Menu) still reappearing after ver. 11.0.654 install?

Jump to solution
25 Replies
DamusFucious
Former Member
Message 2 of 26

Jump to solution

My desktop icon issue is not solved yet. This is the day (17th) where  it's supposed to be resolved. I have my Updates set to automatic, yet the icon keeps coming back to my desktop today - despite deleting it twice already today.

If not fixed by midnight, I will uninstall McAfee Total Protection two months before my subscription expires and purchase another brand tomorrow.

nvtanner
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Jump to solution

I also have the same problem. We were told this was going to be fixed weeks ago.

I too will end my subscrition and use another antivirus program if this is not fixed soon.

I feel that McAfee no longer values it's subscribers by not fixing this so called error in their program.

Message was edited by: nvtanner on 1/21/12 3:14:20 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 26

Jump to solution

The fix was released in the last few days but.....please read the announcement:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3361

New Security Center version is 11.0.654. The patch is set to go to 25% of customers, therefore it may take several days to reach everyone. For immediate solution to the issue, reinstall from the McAfee Site and log in through "My Account". Find your product and install. The install will remove your previous product and give you the latest version 11.0.654. If you are currently on version 10.x.xxxx you may not be entitled to go to 11.0.654 yet. 

and if it still hasn't come in even after right-clicking the checking for updates a few times.....

Go to your account page and log in through "My Account". Find your product and install. The install will remove your previous product and give you the latest version 11.0.654.

If you get that version and it still happens after a reboot then open a case with Technical Support because it certainly shouldn't be happening.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/01/12 3:11:41 EST PM
jabouy
Former Member
Message 5 of 26

Jump to solution

Ex Brit.

The clue is in the thread title.

This behaviour is still happening after the update.

This kind of circular redirection is unhelpful, please report it as a bug, support are 'unaware' of it and it will just add to the frustration sending customers there as there is no current solution.

If you look at the locked thread you will also find out, as if you needed to that this issue has been around for quite some time and you've addressed it yourself without resolution already a number of times.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 26

Jump to solution

I thought that it already had been reported as a bug as the re-emergence of the problem after the update/fix only seems to hit a few people, sorry.  Tony/Peacekeeper has reported it a number of times to my knowledge.   I'll ask him.

It's nighttime where he is so will have to wait for a response.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/01/12 9:13:53 EST AM
jabouy
Former Member
Message 7 of 26

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter, Tony has already confirmed it as still being an issue in his beta release it's not  been confirmed whether any action is currently being taken with it though.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 26

Jump to solution

Yes as far as I see the icon issue has mostly been fixed the start menu returning has not. Peter I have put this as an agenda item for tomorrow's call.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 26

Jump to solution

Peter confirmed this as well so issue still there will pass up the line thanks

adrianrp
Former Member
Message 10 of 26

Jump to solution

You are lucky to have that version... UK user here still on 11.0.649 and waiting for an update. McAfee - sort it out!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community