Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nancydrew
Contributor III
Message 31 of 89

Re: Where have all the updates gone?

Jump to solution

Hi ukchrisr

We are not confident computer users - it would be good if you could tell us if you managed updates tonight or tomorrow. Interesting that McAfee scanned your computer as part of the process. Our scans can take up to 4 hours!!

ukchrisr
Former Member
Message 32 of 89

Jump to solution

This was not a scheduled scan. Mine also takes 4 hours. It was a scan for threats and possibly other problems prior to installing the Security Center software again.

I do not know that much about computers but only achieved as a result of experience over many years.

ukchrisr
Former Member
Message 33 of 89

Jump to solution

For interest

It is now 8am in the UK.

I am currently unable to update Security Center from DAT 7049

nancydrew
Contributor III
Message 34 of 89

Jump to solution

Are you sure there has been an update since you reinstalled McAfee version 11.6?

You must be disappointed after all the uninstalling/reinstalling that you did. Was the version 12.1 a choice when you were reinstalling or did the process automatically give you back the 11.6 version? I guess that ,somehow, we have to install 12.1?

There was another person john.pocrnic ( on thread "dat file will not update "posted on 16th April , now listed under answered questions)  who installed 12.1 and said that everything is now OK. I have just asked him if he is still getting updates.

What a pickle!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 35 of 89

Jump to solution

7050 probably hasn't reached all servers anyway so I wouldn't worry unless SecurityCenter is specifically stating that it is out of date.

Note to any 12.x users reading this:  this version and above no longer use DAT's so this does not apply to you.

prb1948
Contributor III
Message 36 of 89

Jump to solution

I have the same problem as other correspondents. No updates for three or four days yet Security Centre says it is up to date. Even on my old PC, which I do not use much, where the latest DAT file was no. 7043 from over a week ago, running 'Check for updates' said that the programmes were up to date. I have, however, been able to get DAT no. 7050 by installing it manually from http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx.

nancydrew
Contributor III
Message 37 of 89

Jump to solution

Glad to see you involved in this thread as we fear we have been abandoned by Hayton and karthiks.

In particular,Hayton asked us for the following information from the MVT HealthCheck Diagnostic Details:

DAT and Engine

Engine Up-to-date

Expected : 5200

Existing : 5500

DAT Up-to-date

Expected : 7045

Existing : 7046

From this data, it seems to us  that McAfee has its knickers in a twist!  In view of this data, we hoped that Hayton would tell us what he inferred from this and to let us know if Moderators like him have an inside track to McAfee management to get such issues sorted out. But we haven't heard from him again.

Given the niumber of people that this problem is affecting, surely McAfee should resolving the situation?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 89

Jump to solution

MVT isn't reliable at present due to one of its servers being down, the one that supplies it with current DAT details, it's a known bug.   So don't bother with it right now and if SecurityCenter says you are OK, you are OK.

Those of you who reported earlier trying to get 12.1 (which doesn't use DAT's by the way - please note) and failing, did you run the MCPR cleanup after uninstalling?

Another reason you may not get it yet is your region - it may not be on the servers yet.  Changing your account page country to Australia before downloading usually takes care of that as they get their upgrades before anyone else.

Another reason for not getting 12.1 is if you obtain McAfee from a 3rd party such as your ISP or PC maker, they often sit for months on upgrades while they supposedly check them out, unfortunately that sometimes means waiting ages for whatever everyone else is using.  McAfee can't do anything about that unfortunately.

I don't think Hayton or Karthik have abandoned you, just probably off duty/taking a rest I would imagine.   One is in the UK and one in India.   Fortunately I'm an insomniac so am available more often than not.  😉

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/04/13 5:55:35 EDT AM
ukchrisr
Former Member
Message 39 of 89

Jump to solution

No I was not given the choice to install version 12.1

I am still on DAT 7049, dated 18th, installed 19th

Have tried manual update, says "Programs are up to date"

As was pointed out to me, I should have run cleanup tool after uninstalling, but did not as I did not know about it.

Until and if we have an official McAfee answer, i will leave the third uninstall (and this time use the cleanup tool) and reinstall in six months to next week in case there is not a problem with my SC on my PC.

ukchrisr
Former Member
Message 40 of 89

Jump to solution

As far as I am aware, the downloads come from mcafee.com that I assume is in the US.

I am in the UK, have a Dell PC and use BT as my ISP.

Prior to the uninstall and reinstall yesterday, as I pointed out it was limited to DAT files. Site Advisor Live and the spam content both updated automatically on the 18th.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community