Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nancydrew
Contributor III
Message 41 of 89

Re: Where have all the updates gone?

Jump to solution

Thanks for your helpful and friendly response.

Regarding your 1st paragraph, we understand what you say about MVT, but, although Security Centre says "Your programs are up to date", when we go to Navigation/About, the DAT number is still 7046. So we are not up to date and will get further out of date and then we will get the dreaded message "Your computer is at risk". Surely there is a problem that we are all experiencing and McAfee need to sort it ? Do you have any influence with McAfee? Can you persuade them to take action?

ukchrisr
Former Member
Message 42 of 89

Jump to solution

No unfortunately I am merely a humble PC user in the UK.

Like you I have only discovered the problem as a result of diligence.

I check my SC console daily and also look at the programme files using windows explorer.

I use the McAfee website to see what the latest DAT is.

In the UK they are usually available from about 10PM that day and if my PC was running late at night, it would auto update. At one time, i used to get a message on the screen to say so. Version 11.6 seems to have stopped doing this.

Most times, i would download the latest DAT the next day using the SC console (click check for updates) and would be surprised if after several days About said I had 7046 installed, the latest was 7050 and I was told your programmes are up to date. I would then use windows explorer to look at virusscan under program files and check the DAT folder as this also says when the DAT was installed on MY PC.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 43 of 89

Jump to solution

You shouldn't decide your software is faulty simply because the Enterprise download site states that a certain DAT is current.  That is posted way in advance of the actual release.   It takes some time for DAT's to reach all the global servers and there have been occasions where a DAT's distribution was stalled or even cancelled when a problem was found with it.  So if SecurityCenter says you are up to date then you are OK.

Also those who get the software free via ISP's or PC makers or other 3rd parties may experience delays as I previously mentioned.

Once you get 12.x then you wont be able to update that way anyway as DAT's are a thing of the past with that version and higher.

That all said, there have also been server problems on occasion that have stopped the process from happening.   I would give it a day or two and if nothing updates by say Monday, or if your SecurityCenter turns red and starts warning you at any time, then contact Technical Support by phone or online chat.  It's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

nancydrew
Contributor III
Message 44 of 89

Jump to solution

If we are to leave things until Monday and then phone the Technical Support Team, am I right that we should NOT be asking them to solve the problem but asking them to talk us through the uninstall/reinstall process to get the 12.1 version?  Will the 12.1 version solve the problem of us not receiving updates?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 45 of 89

Jump to solution

If you want that, sure, I don't see why not, but my meaning there was if updates are failing and as a result, SecurityCenter gives warnings.

dast22
Former Member
Message 46 of 89

Jump to solution

I had the same problem, called tech support they reloaded NEW VERSION of security software on my machine. everything is good again. Tech number is (for north america) 1-866-622-3911, it took me 3hrs to find this number.

Good luck.

ukchrisr
Former Member
Message 47 of 89

Jump to solution

By new version, do you mean 12.1 ?

Given the current problem, will those of us on 11.6 be automatically updated to 12.1 and if so when is it scheduled to be on auto update ?

If you have a re-installed version 11.6, watch the DATs. So far, reinstalling 11.6 has not enabled me to update my DAT file.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 48 of 89

Jump to solution

The UK number is also available but not 24/7.  Useful Links or McAfee Support at the top of this page, or right-click your tasbkar icon > Get Help  and follow the prompts or from Help in SecurityCenter itself.

ukchrisr
Former Member
Message 49 of 89

Jump to solution

Thanks. I will leave until Monday and if there is a problem, call tech. I did this once before and they installed some remote control software on my PC to investigate and cure the problem. I can uninstall 11.6 myself, but cannot find to download 12.1

dast22
Former Member
Message 50 of 89

Jump to solution

yes new ver 12.1. I did not have to find it, tech support did it all over phone, uninstall old ver then directed me to site to download and install new 12.1 ver, all is good in the world again.

hope this helped

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community