cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hopeless1
Former Member
Message 21 of 23

Re: Was the Recent Update to Security Center 11.0 build 11.0.678 Flawed?

I just ran MVT and the COM problem does not exist anymore. This time MVT found no problems.

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 6/11/12 8:30:41 PM GMT-05:00
citrus
Contributor III
Message 22 of 23

I also ran MVT and there were no problems. I suspect the software update was successful all along and that the problem was indeed with MVT only. This is like the multiple com file problems that MVT was showing a few months ago, that also went away after a few days.

I think we are seeing the following scenario played out here.  Depending on the operating system and the combination of products installed, the registry entries that MVT must check are sometimes different. For example, a com file that might be wrong on an XP system might be correct on an Windows 7 system. Or a registry entry important to a Security Center install might not exist at all if you're just running Antivirus Plus. This means that everytime software upgrades are done, the people who maintain MVT must update it to look for the appropriate components for every possible combination of operating systems and McAfee products. Sometimes they miss something, and MVT will flag an error that is bogus. Eventually, if enough people complain, then the problem gets fixed in an MVT update.

The problem described by Redwood is I think a combination of the MVT glitch plus a true contamination by trojans, viruses, or whatever. In other words, the issue is deeper than the MVT problem described in this thread.  I don't know how to advise him on that.

redwood
Contributor
Message 23 of 23

Thru other programs (TDSSKiller, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, etc.) I saw the trojan quarantined and removed.  I think that problem no longer exists.  Previous MVTs have shown no problems with XP.  There was a problem a while ago with DAT - I believe it was corrected by a new download of the whole taco and maybe that is what is needed now.  If the system gets so traumatized so easily every time there is a trojan it is not a good system - but I do believe it is a clean machine now so what's the excuse.  I  got a warning yesterday that I am not getting updates!  The last fix was done at no expense and this one should at the very least been explained by tech support who never heard of DAT probs !!!!- not just give me a sales pitch.   No wonder mc has the rep it has.  Glad your problems were solved - wish me luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community