- Immediately after a fresh start / restart (50sec uptime), Vista Security Center reports that McAfee Firewall and VirusScan are turned off; both categories are Red. BUT, McAfee reports that Everything is Protected.
- After 3 minutes uptime, Vista Security Center will automatically refresh itself and report that McAfee Firewall and VirusScan are running; both categories are then Green.
-- This problem started after the last "major" update, a few days to a week ago. I.E. the McAfee Taskbar pop-up that an update has completed Used To Be a black-bordered window with white/ yellow interior; Now, it is a black-bordered window with grey/ white interior.
- While Vista Security Center is showing no firewall or virus protection: if I click "Turn On", McAfee Security Center will automatically open up and report that its fixing my protection issue. BUT, McAfee WASN'T reporting any protection issue AND Vista Security Center STILL shows the item I just "turned on" as NOT "turned on".
- After waiting the 3 minutes for Vista to report that all is well, I've tried running McAfee's Virtual Technician: it reports that it cannot find any installed McAfee products; session I.D. 14681925.
- I can successfully check for updates with both McAfee and Windows Update. EVERYTHING is up-to-date as of this posting.
- I can successfully run a FULL virus scan: no problems / issues / viruses.
I've been putting up with this for about a week, thinking that when another McAfee update came thru, it might fix itself. AND, it Seemed that after waiting 3 minutes after starting the PC, everything was running as it should. But I've received a DAT update and the problem persists, AND McAfee Virtual Technician can't idenitfy my "allegedly" installed and running properly-McAfee products.
I'm exceedingly, even excessively, carfeul about what I do with my PC. I'm very security-conscious, though admittedly not a PC security "gearhead". I don't do ANY "file sharing". Other than Vista and McAfee updates, I download / install Very little; game patches mostly. I haven't downloaded/ installed Anything, or changed Any settings of Any kind, for several weeks prior to this happening. The only variable I can think of between the last time everything was fine and the first occurence of this problem was the large update to McAfee Firewall and VirusScan about a week ago.
I've checked thru several pages of posts in both the Resolved and Unresolved MSCv9 forums but haven't found anything similar to my issue. If I could get some specific definitive help from someone, I will be Very Grateful.
Thanks in advance.
take it easy.
(original McAfee Security Center pre-installed by Alienware; purchased May '08)
Security Center v9.0
- Build 9.0.295
- Last Update: 1/6/09
Virus Scan v13.0
- Build 13.0.232
- Last Update: 1/11/09
- DAT Version: 5491.0000
- DAT Creation Date: 1/10/09
- Engine Version: 5300.2777
Personal Firewall v10.0
- Build 10.0.209
- Last Update: 1/6/09
* McAfee Firewall is the Only firewall running, Vista firewall turned off.
* McAfee VirusScan is the Only AV installed / running.