cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PattiWagen
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Virus Scan gets hung on a file and then hangs my computer.

I had this problem with another file that was too large to send up to you, but this time it is a small Photoshop Elements xml file that has been on my computer for several years.

Virus scan hangs on that file. I cannot get virus scan to skip the file.  It just hangs my system at that point.  When I shut down the computer, there was a file called ##VSO###MCVSSHLD## that prevented my computer from shutting down until I ended the process manually.

I am running security center 9.15, build 9.15.160,affid 636,udatew 11/18/09.  Virus scan 13.15, build 13.15.113, affid 636, Last Update 12/21/09, dat version 5839.0000, engine version 5301.4018.  I have had problems with McAfee since I was hit by the antimalware rogue program.  I downloaded and installed pctools Spyware Doctor to get rid of that infection since McAfee couldn't get rid of it.

5 Replies
rahulsingh
Contributor III
Message 2 of 6

Re: Virus Scan gets hung on a file and then hangs my computer.

Try doing a Manual Scan on this file.

Right click on the file and try scanning it. See if it hangs.

Incase it doesn't hang, go to the folder that this file is placed in and scan the folder manually.

Please report back with the results.

PattiWagen
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

It did not hang.  Also, scanning the directory did  not hang.  I am currently scannning the entire Documents and Settings directory and it seems to be OK.

PattiWagen
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I scanned the entire documents and settings folder with no problems.  The last 2 full scans I did have hung my computer and even made rebooting a problem.  It just gets bogged down or something.

rahulsingh
Contributor III
Message 5 of 6

Hi Patty,

I would like you to try this next step now.

if you are using windows XP

click start

click run

type in msconfig

click on services tab

select the option "hide all microsoft services"

hit the disable all button

click on start up tab

again hit the disable all button

then hit Apply/Ok

restart the computer

open McAfee

click on maintain computer

run a quick clean by ensuring you have selected all options apart from the 4 outlook options

once the quick clean is complete run a full system scan

after the scan go back to start

click on run again

again type in msconfig

services tab - enable all

start up tab - enable all

restart the computer again after selecting apply/ok

report findings.

Again is the scan still failing on the very same file during the full system scan?

also, the problem can at times be related to a bad sector on the hard drive. if you are unable to do the full scan after performing steps above it would be a good idea to run a check disk. To run a check disk follow the following steps

Click start

Click run

type in CMD and click OK

In the command prompt type in chkdsk /f and hit enter

type in yes if prompted

restart the computer

that will schedule a scan on the restart

once the computer completes the scan and starts back up retry the full system scan

See how it goes.

PattiWagen
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I was logged in as administrator, but msconfig would tell me "access denied", but would do the things I told it to.  The first time I rebooted, I could not get McAfee to load, so I went back to msconfig and enabled the McAfee processes.and did the quick clean and the scan.  It completed normally.  I have enabled all in the services and startup tabs.  Again I got the access denied message from msconfig, but everything seems to have started alright except for something from Roxio , which had a big X through it.  I reconfigured the Roxio program not to run at startup.

I ran the full scan with all the startup files enabled and once again it stopped in a file in documents and settings.  I could not stop the scan, so used the task manager to end the scan and got the message that the nonresponsive program was McAfee MISP shell.  It seems to hang about 1/3 of the way through the scan.  Should I boot with safe mode whenever I want to scan?

I just completed a scan of documents and settings with no problems with everything enabled in msconfig.

Message was edited by: PattiWagen on 12/25/09 1:06:11 PM CST

Message was edited by: PattiWagen on 12/25/09 1:24:51 PM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community