cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtmcauliffe
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Virtual Technician Shows only Site Advisor is installed after Today's Update

I turned my computer on this morning, and McAfee completed an update that required a restart. It restarted, and everything looked normal.
The new parts were all updated, and everything is running according to task manager and McAfee itself. I decided to run Virtual Technician just to be safe.
It too finished, but it says only Site Advisor is installed. I tried restarting and running it again, but it still says the same thing.
All of the files seem to be there, and Windows says it is installed.

Is Virtual Techinican just glitched up, or did today's updates mess up?
7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

RE: Virtual Technician Shows only Site Advisor is installed after Today's Update

If Security Center is up and running OK I would ignore the Virtual Technician for now. Perhaps it hasn't been updated to the latest version yet.

Out of curiosity I just ran it and it found everything except SiteAdvisor although everything was OK....weird is all I can say...!
dtmcauliffe
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

RE: Virtual Technician Shows only Site Advisor is installed after Today's Update

If that's the case, I guess the Technician is just going bonkers.
Inform me if you get any word on it. wink
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Will do.
dtmcauliffe
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

The Virtual Technician is still doing the same thing. I really hope the problem is not on my end... Reinstalling is a pain. sad
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

MVT is known to fail to find anything when the products are part of a package from your ISP or PC maker. Not sure why but probably they have altered the scripting somehow to make that happen. It can also fail when the machine is behind certain proxies or corporate/university firewalls. Is that the case here?

Other than that I can't really offer you an explanation and if everything works OK I wouldn't worry about it.

If you feel really strongly about it then try Technical Support Chat linked in my signature and have them connect with your machine to check it.
dtmcauliffe
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

I use McAfee on my home computer with my home network. The VT worked fine until the new update.
Also, I went ahead and performed a reinstall as directed by McAfee. It all went fine, but VT still says Site Advisor is the only thing installed!

Anyway, this is kind of like the time when VT said Site Advisor was missing a piece. It was doing it to a lot of people, but it suddenly stopped. After a week of that, it was all okay. Odd....
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Well it's up to you. You can always ask Tech Support to check it out.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community