Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwg010
Contributor III
Message 1 of 13

VPN & Bing

Jump to solution

Since the new Microsoft Bing "Ask me anything" appeared, Bing search in MS Edge just displays a blank page if McAfee VPN is turned on.

Fails in both Windows 11 (sometimes) and always for Android on tablet and phone.

Using Edge as the browser on all devices.

It used to all work with no problems - just failing since the new search engine.

Something is blocking the results from displaying.

Turn off VPN, and it all appears ok.

Also OK if search is done from Google with Google search engine.

Why is Bing suddenly failing with McAfee turned on?

Is this a new "feature"? -- is it deliberate?

Is there a new setting to fix the problem?

Will an update be coming?

I have reinstalled both Edge and McAfee on my devices, but nothing fixes the problem.

Looks like I will have to move to Google for searches.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bwg010
Contributor III
Message 9 of 13

Re: VPN & Bing

Jump to solution

Yep, spoke too soon.

Problem is back today -- but seems intermittent

View solution in original post

12 Replies
dreamzwalker
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

I am having this issue as well and it just manifested the evening of Feb 10.  Everything works if the McAfee VPN is off, however, bing shuts down and stops working and will not return results if McAfee is on.  I tried a second VPN and the problem DID NOT repeat itself. This is an issue on the McAfee end.  Hopefully a fix comes soon given that I pay for a service that is not working correctly.

bwg010
Contributor III
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

I've noticed that Bing will work OK on desktop (win 11, Edge) if VPN is turned off and back on after Edge has been started up. Not sure that works every time but has sometimes. However never works on Android and Edge with Bing.

dreamzwalker
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

I will have to try the desktop trick (Edge, win 10) and see if it works for me.   

Firefox will also replicate the same Bing problem if VPN is turned on.

bwg010
Contributor III
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

More than a month later, the problem still exits.

However, sometimes it will work ok, and then other times not.

Seems to be affected by changes to system stuff eg stopped working after Win 11 update this morning. Sometimes starts working after VPN has been turned on / off and/or Edge is restarted etc. But I haven't been able to identify a consistent pattern.

There must be some incompatibility somewhere that sometimes gets cleared.

dreamzwalker
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

Mine has begun a hit and miss block on Bing this week so you may be right on the compatibility issue

bwg010
Contributor III
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

An Update: have found over this past weekend that if I set the VPN location to United States then Bing works every time on all devices.

I do not live in the US and prefer to set my location to my home country (though not my city), but it only works in a very hit and miss fashion if I use any country other than USA.

So ... still need a fix, and don't know how long the "USA" option will work for, but it seems to work for now. EXCEPT I don't want to be "located" in the US, as a general point.

bwg010
Contributor III
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

Seems that the latest major update to McAfee may have fixed this problem, at least on the desktop.

Time will tell.

bwg010
Contributor III
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

Yep, spoke too soon.

Problem is back today -- but seems intermittent

bwg010
Contributor III
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

Well, after all this time its still a problem.

There have been many Win 11 and Edge updates, and a few McAfee updates, but only the symptoms have changed - the problem is still there.

Instead of a blank screen, now get a message about "there is no info available" or something like that.

All works ok if VPN is turned off.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community