cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gardengirl
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Updates never complete

Surely having a dialup 56k modem doesn't mean that McAfee Internet Security can't update itself. This is what I have and I don't seem to have a problem with HP updates or MS updates. Granted they are a wee bit slow but they don't take all day.
Here is what I am running:

OS-Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
AOL is my ISP and default browser.
I purchased McAfee Internet Security 2009 (in the box) and had no problems installing it.
However, when it tries to update, the little arrow icon runs for hours. I have left it alone for as much as 8 hours just to see what would happen. The closest it ever got to completion was 85% Then it starts over at 0%. If I have to go off line the little red arrow keeps turning and the message says that to complete download reconnect to the internet. Well, when I do, the download begins again at 0%.

If I remember right Norton picks up where it left off. So, do I have a problem or is this just the way McAfee works.?

Another question: When in the process of downloading updates when I pass the mouse over the arrow icon what message should I see?
1 Reply
OliverJohnSimps
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

RE: Updates never complete

Hi,

This is common to the dial-up users, there is a small update settings that needs to change. Please open the McAfee Security Center and then click on 'Configure' at the lower right corner. Now click on 'Automatic Update' and then click on the 'Advanced' option now to the left of the screen that pop's up click on 'Update Options'. To the left select the option which reads 'Download the updates automatically and notify me when they are ready to be installed' click on 'Apply' and then 'Ok' check if this feature allows you to download the updates in small increments. Please let us know if this helps.

Regards,
OJ
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community