cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tincup
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Updates & Scheduled Scan problems

1. McAfee Total Protection - "Updates" have been running now for approximately 2 hours, seems stuck at 0% completed.

2. Scheduled scans do not start as scheduled.

3. I then ran a manual scan and this event did not show up in the Security History dialogue box today.

help!

11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Re: Updates & Scheduled Scan problems

@tincup, you never responded to Catdaddy here:

Can we close out one problem before dealing with others please?

Your best bet anyway is to contact Technical Support direct, it's free of charge and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 12

Re starting on time  open navigation and general settings and alerts and general settings and disable wait till idle option that will allow Scheduled scan to start on time

Also do as Peter suggests please

tincup
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Peter, yes please close out my query about trimming down a full scan, thanks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

OK will do.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

Thanks

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 12

Did my suggestion work for the starting on time issue?

tincup
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

Peace, your suggestions did work, scheduled scans now fire up as assigned.

McAfee Total Protection Updates/Completed % had remained at 0%, when doing manual updates.

I see an update is scheduled later today so I will watch if the Completed % increments over time.

N.B.!

During the second attempt with Tech Support to reinstall the M.T.P., a Files Needed message

appeared, stating <mfendisk.sys> on McAfee Core NDIS Intermediate Driver Disk is needed.

I don't know how to accomplish that task, and the tech went through it far faster that

I could follow.

I mention this because every time I go through Tech Support to get a reinstall,

this Files Needed message appears and the technician has long since signed off,

leaving me with a faulty reinstall, thus I have to go through Hoop-Land again and again,

and hope and pray that the tech will have the patience to watch the reinstallation process

long enough so that he/she sees what goes wrong.

I'm a patient man, but as of late, I'd rather try nailing jello to a tree,

than have to go through this miasma again.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 12

That message is not common a solution was found in that when you get it you browse to the windows folder

as mentioned here

I had to reboot before I was able to uninstall McAfee Total Protection and Site Advisor using Control Panel.  Afterward, I ran the MCPR.exe cleanup tool and then reinstalled Total Projection from the McAfee web site.  During the installation process, again I got the ”files missing” box that asked for mfendisk.sys.  This time I pointed to C:\windows\system32\drivers and the location was accepted and the installation continued and ultimately completed successfully.

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

if you still get it call support and ask them to either watch the install or escalate the issue to Tier 2 or 2.5. If you get any resistance post here and i will get the forum resident tech to look at the tread.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 12

Re: Re: Updates & Scheduled Scan problems

Is this a Windows XP machine? If so the file that you are referring should be present in C:\Windows\System32\drivers

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community