cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gpassler
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Updates Not Downloading; DAT Out of Date

My Updates will not download when I try to manually download them. Ran McAfee Virtual Tech, which said DAT file out of date and Security Center not working. TRIED to access Live Chat and after several tries / long waits and no chat person coming online, I gave up.

Is there any way to resolve these issues without uninstalling/reinstalling? On Windows Vista Laptop with Security Center 2010. thanks.

7 Replies
Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: Updates Not Downloading; DAT Out of Date

Please let me know the type of internet connection that you are using(Dial Up, DSl, FIOS, Wireless..), default Internet browser(Internet explorer, Firefox...), and let me know whether if you are using any other third party AntiVirus applications or not?

gpassler
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

HI, thanks for trying to help.

I'm on a PC laptop using Windows Vista connecting to the Internet via a home office wireless router, using Internet Explorer 7.

I have no trouble connecting to the Internet and I can run my McAfee Virus Scan. However when I click "Check Updates" nothing happens. McAfee Security Center tells me my computer is "up to date" but I can't download the updates, it just freezes at 0% completed.

No other third-party anti-virus software on this computer.

Please let me know what to do next. Thanks!

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Hello there,

Click the Windows Button and type drivers into the search bar and press enter

Among the folders that appear, select the folder name "etc".

Right click on hosts and select open with - Select Notepad from the list.

Make sure that the last line contains - 127.0.0.1 local host.You can delete if any additional entries found below that and save the file.

Also,

Click the Windows Button and type cmd.exe into the search bar

Among the choices, right click on cmd and select Run as Administrator.

In the command prompt window, type ping download.mcafee.com and hit enter

Let me know if we get a reply from the website or any errors.

Regards,

Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

Click on Windows start button, type inetcpl.cpl on searchbar

Select 'Connection’ tab.. There you could see ‘Lan Settings’, click on that.

inetcpl lan.gif

Uncheck all the box under ‘Proxy Server’ are marked.

inetcpl lan 2.gif

Now click on ‘Ok’, ‘Ok’.

Click on Windows start button, type cmd (don’t hit enter key) right click on the cmd from the searched entries and select ‘Run as administartor’

run as ad.gif

Now you will be getting a command prompt window.

Type notepad drivers\etc\hosts and hit enter

Now you will the Windows host file.

cmd host2.gif

Delete all the entries under 127.0.0.1 local host

Now save that file and close that.

On the command prompt window type ping download.mcafee.com

Check whether you are getting replies from any webserver or getting any error message.

Close that command prompt window and try to update McAfee.

gpassler
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Hi, thanks for trying to help.

I followed your instrux, went into drivers > etc > hosts ... local host is 127.0.0.1  Then I tried to delete the ::1 underneath it and Notepad wouldn't allow me to save the file, got an error message: "Cannot create the c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file; Make sure the path and file name are correct."

The cmd ping worked, 4 packets sent and received, 0% loss.

At this point would it be faster to uninstall and reinstall from the website? Thanks!

Dinz
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for getting back soon, I would say to have this fixed completely , please click on useful links at the top of this page and get in touch with our technical support chat technicians and they will find out if the host file is set right , if not they will help you in getting that fixed as well , as it might be one of the reason for the updates to fail.

Let me know if you still have any issues.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Modaerator

gpassler
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Hi, I did a System Restore and that seemed to fix my problems. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and assistance.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community