cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maglincoln
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Updates Every Day?

Why am I getting updates everyday... is it the same update or are there actually updates everyday?

Thanks

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: Updates Every Day?

Your antivirus component updates at least once a day and other components will vary.

BCFoster
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Yes, we add somewhere between 50-100k new signatures a day.  Need to get those to your pretty Frequently.

Regards,

Brian

SVP Product Management

Arrlington
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

I'm getting updates that require me to reboot my machine about once per day. This started about a month ago and it is getting annoying. Is this a "bug" or a "feature?"  My machine is running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Arrlington wrote:

I'm getting updates that require me to reboot my machine about once per day. This started about a month ago and it is getting annoying. Is this a "bug" or a "feature?"  My machine is running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2.

That shouldn't be happening.  An occasional reboot yes, but not every day.   Run the Virtual Technician to see if it can fix the software:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If it doesn't fix it then Uninstall via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program

Then run MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

This is typical of what happens when  registry cleaners are used, have you used one?

Arrlington
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

I have not used a registry cleaner in some time. However, I use the Microsoft "enhanced cleanup" documented in Fred Langa's "Windows Secrets" from April 4, 2002 that is accessed by clicking on Start|Run then type cleanmgr /sageset:99

This is supposed to be a safe way to remove entities that tended to slow down my machine.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

I agree, that should be OK.  Although I would imagine that was written for XP.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/02/13 10:14:07 EST AM
Arrlington
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Here is a link at Fred Langa's "Windows Secrets" that recommends the use of cleanmgr with all versions of Windows:

https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/let-your-pc-start-the-new-year-right/

This story is dated January 10, 2013.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Yes I'm also a subscriber and, apart from perhaps being tardy cleaning dust out of machine, have done most of what he recommends at fairly frrequent intervals.

Actually that particular process hasn't changed much since Windows started.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community