cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saty
Former Member
Message 141 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

yes, I too will never send McA more money (very similar to my Dell experience, perhaps that is their model, LOL)

My two questions are

a) whether to dump before subscription expires (2011) - which I am leaning towards

b) AVG or Norton

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 142 of 230

Posts discussing the merits or lack thereof of rival applications may be deleted....this thread is complicated enough without cluttering it up with stuff that belongs on an independent forum.

Wild-Turkey
Former Member
Message 143 of 230

I don't know everything the Level 2 tech did yesterday when he used "Go to Assist" to trouble-shoot my problem.  However, after taking control, he ran a full scan (ran for over 3 hours), then did the "Quick Clean".  Finally, he said that he was not able to fix my problem and would have someone from Level 3 call me in the morning between 9:00 and 10:00 EST.  It is now 1:50 pm EST and still no call from them.  Maybe, he said it was fixed...my hearing is not that good these days.

The good news is that the bad yellow pop-up is no longer coming up, when I select "M" for any reason.  The good green pop-up showing, "Am I Protected? Yes" now appears.  The bad news is that under Security Center Information it still shows Last Scan 12/11/2009.  I would think it should say, "Last Scan 1/18/2010".  Now I wonder, am I really protected? 

What now Peacekeeper?  Should I keep after Level 2 until they give me a definitive answer?  Or, should I just forget the whole thing and move on?  Is the information I am providing of any value to you or anyone?  One thing for sure, I agree wholeheartedly with geoperkins.  The call center is in need of repair and/or replacement.

Peacekeeper
Message 144 of 230

Wait for the t3 really as I keep saying or at least I think I give the impression that mcafee does not know the exact cause of this issue. It is happening in a very very small percentage of users and as I posted in the post 1 here there can be many causes though we seem to be zeroing in on something.

Gees I haven't had a yellow or red popup in 8 months and then every1 was getting them this was fixed in 9.11 version of the program.

Did the tech give you a ref number that I can give to my T3s and see what he gathers from the notes?

Wild-Turkey
Former Member
Message 145 of 230

The t3 called me at 3:00 pm EST.  He took control with GTA and looked at various logs and files.  Asked if I had made any changes since I talked to to the t2.  Said no.  We discussed possibilities for the problems like using 64 bit OS with 32 bit programs (McAfee is working on a 64 bit version now).  Probably has something to do with this, but they are not sure.  I know that a lot of my older programs will not load on WIN 7.  I get messages that advise me to contact the software company for a 64 bit version.

Anyway, the t3 uploaded all my McAfee files and some OS log files to examine in their controlled environment.  Said he would get back to me in about 48 hours (sooner, if they find anything).  Gave me this reference number: 484570-437157720.  All in all it was a refreshing experience talking to someone who seemed to be on top of the problem and willing to spend some time working on this issue.

Meanwhile, I will refrain from making any changes or adding programs until I get an answer.

Peacekeeper
Message 146 of 230

Good to see they did follow up their promise. I wonder if the 32 bit programs cause an issue though I feel not all the users here are 64bit.

Good to see thay have all your mcafee files that way they can dig deeper.

GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 147 of 230

Whaoooo... My McAfee just updated and no 'Not Protected'. McShield is running! Hope this continues!!

Peacekeeper
Message 148 of 230

That is good though do not run out and celebrate as we haven't been told of them finding anything.

So what version are you running and what did you do to stop the heaps of issues you reported before?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/01/10 8:45:15 AM
GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 149 of 230

Haven't done anything different... but I was a bit hasty. I got up this morning to a 'not protected'. The computer stays on 24/7. No maintenance was scheduled. Arghhhh!

Wild-Turkey
Former Member
Message 150 of 230

Have not replied to this earlier because I am working with t3 on the same problem.  Mine like yours went away for several days.  However, also like yours it came back on Saturday Morning after the automatic "Update" had been run as scheduled.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  I will leave it to the Tech to determine.  He is due to call me tomorrow between 9 & 11 am. Will keep you posted.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community