cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emtjoe
Former Member
Message 191 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

First, I like the new interface a lot better than the previous one.  I'm finding it much easier to use.  Second, much to my chagrin and embarassment, I must now admit that the "Not Protected" issue on my computer was probably due to the keylogger program that was installed.  Since I have stopped it from running at start up and subsequently removing it from my computer at Peacekeeper's advice, I have not had any "Not Protected" messages and it has been by far the longest period ever with out the warning popping up.  Thank you all for your time and patience.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 192 of 230

Good news emtjoe and thanks for posting your findings.

LarryD
Contributor
Message 193 of 230

I'm seeing another problem related to MobiPassword 2.55 (http://www.mobipassword.com/) and McAfee VirusScan 13.15. In particular, since installing MobiPassword 2.55, a McAfee warning message pops up every couple of hours reporting "Your computer is not fully protected." I click "Check protection status" and then "Fix It" and McAfee changes from "red" (problem) to "green" (no problem). But then it happens again in an hour or two.

I checked the Windows Event Viewer and found errors like this one:

Event Type:       Error

Event Source:    McLogEvent

Event Category: None

Event ID:           5051

Date:                4/7/2010

Time:                11:45:32 PM

User:                NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer:         BRAHMA

Description:

A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.

The process will be terminated. Thread id : 6508 (0x196c)

Thread address : 0x12071DF9

Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5400.1158

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Unidentity\Mobipassword\Mobipassword.exe

by C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

4(0)(0)

4(0)(0)

7200(0)(0)

7595(0)(0)

7005(0)(0)

7004(0)(0)

5006(0)(0)

5004(0)(0)

I also noticed that MobiPassword takes an extraordinarily long time to start up some times. I believe this is due to McAfee trying to scan it and then timing out. According to an early post in this thread, after the third failure in a row, the service is turned off, likely triggering the "Your computer is not fully protected" message.

I'm not sure if the problem is in McAfee's scanner or in MobiPassword, but it is definitely a problem for me. I'm considering moving back to MobiPassword 2.03 which did not seem to have these problems. But I don't believe the McAfee scanner should "hang" on an .exe file (size 2.7 MB) regardless of what's in it.

LarryD
Contributor
Message 194 of 230

FYI: The Mobipassword developer sent me this reply about the issue:

We are using one of the best self-protection tools in order to assure that  Mobipassword cannot be harmed by any malware code and this way - the user's  database to be as secure as possible. However, since there are malware  applications that use similar self-protection tool in order to confuse the  Windows system, parts of this tool are categorized as a possible threats by some  Anti-Virus applications.

We are now working to resolve this issue by  certifying Mobipassword for Windows. Once again, I can assure you that there is  no malware code inside Mobipassword.

Peacekeeper
Message 195 of 230

Ok can see how that would hinder scanning the file. Maybe best to wait and revert back to old version till a fix cames from Mobipassword.

When/if they get the feature we asked for where one can exclude a file from scanning that will help as well.

DanAP
Former Member
Message 196 of 230

Good Morning Everyone.

I have thoroughly read through this thread because I too was receiving the dreadful "Not Protected", and I feel all of your pain.  I have been using McAfee for years with great success and now this bug was really shaking my confidence in the product. However, I think I found a solution to my problem and maybe it will help others.

I do not have all my stats on my home computer because I am at work (I know shame, shame) but I do know it is an Acer laptop running Win 7 Professional.  I am running the McAfee suite which comes complementary with my ISP service.  I don't have many programs installed on my laptop other than video and audio conversion tools, multimedia players (VLC), and a Usenet reader.

The "Not Protected" issue only popped up about a week ago, probably with one of the updates but I am not sure.  Solast night, with greater insight from this thread, I went to my event logs I saw the usual "The McAfee Real-time Scanner service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 4 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service."  The program stalling the Real-time scanner was the Usenet reader.   So I decided to go to the Services panel and restart the process, and lo an behold not 5 seconds later it stopped.  However, I did not get the normal warning I usually receive in the bottom right corner of the screen.  So I did this a few times, 4 or 5, just to see if there was a pattern and sure enough, yes there was, every 4-5 seconds it would stop .  So I closed out the Usenet program, went back to the services, restarted real-time scanner and for the following hour it remained operational.

So basically I need to either give up my news reader or purchase a new one that works with Mcafee, which is a small price for a protected computer.     I know from reading the thread that some of you can not give up the device that is causing oyur error, but for those of you who can, I would suggest removing the offending program all together.

Peacekeeper
Message 197 of 230

DanAp yes it appears usenet reader might be accessing files as the real time scanner also tries that will lock things up. that is why having another realtime scanner active also would cause this issue.

What version of Mcafee ie is it the new 2010 version and what ISP is supplying your copy?

DanAP
Former Member
Message 198 of 230

I am not sure if it is the new 2010 version, I'll check tonight.  The ISP is Cox of Connecticut.  I just checked the Cox website and it does not give the current download version.

Ok I am checking my versions:

Security Center 9.15.715

Virus Scan 13.15.117

Personal Firewall 10.15.106

Site Advisor 3.0.1.163

Parental Controls 11.15.102

Message was edited by: DanAP on 4/15/10 7:04:14 PM CDT
Mister__C
Contributor
Message 199 of 230

Hello My Name is Chris and i am having a problem since earlier this week. The Mcafee program updated to the Mcafee Total Protection and every since then i am having the Not Protected red box come up. It seems the Real Time Scanner is continually being turned off..no matter how many times i turn it back on...i also noticed i can not do any virus scan..whether it be quick, full, or custom. I am using Windows XP Home Edition SP3...and My Mcafee is Engine 5400 and DAT file is 5960...i also run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware vr 1.45 dat 4024. I have also tried to unsinstall and reinstall Mcafee with the windows removal tool ect...and to no avail. i used the online virtual tech and it did nothing..then i tried to chat with an online tech but i could never get thru..had issues with the software and even downloaded the software and ran from desktop and still never connected.

here are the errors i keep recieving in the even viewer:

eventviewerapplication.txt

eventviewersystem.txt

Message was edited by: Mister__C on 4/23/10 1:30:28 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 200 of 230

Can you check event viewer and post the info on what application the scanner is timing out on.

Malwarebytes is that the full version?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community