cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scarlj
Former Member
Message 181 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

I have Security Center Version 9.15. Six to eight times per day, I will see the dialog box: "Computer is not fully protected". I go into the program and see the big RED X. I click FIX. The GREEN CHECK returns and lasts for some period of time. However, I have been continually doing this FIX six to eight times per day for 3 months. I have been in contact with 4 different chat techs, I have run McAfee Virual Technician 3 tyimes. I have uninstalled/reinstalled McAfee 3 times, each time using the clean uninstall tool. Nothing seems to correct or decrease the symptom. I am about ready to go to NORTON. Does anyone have a clue what I might try next? scarlj

Peacekeeper
Message 182 of 230

Print up the event log details as below

There is someting causing this as some here have found when the techs are calling some of them that some have root kit infections some program clashes. Post the above log and we will see what we can see from it.

The Windows "Event Log" is indeed the location you need. Windows Vista and XP should have similar access. No ideas for Windows 7, although it also should be similar.

For Windows XP, the sequence to access is:

1. Right-click on "My Computer" (or, "Start ---> Administrative Tools", if in your "Start Menu")

2. Click "Manage"

3. Expand "Event Viewer" (click on the "+")

4. The log entries needed are in two (2) locations: "Application" and "System"

5. The entries under "Application" will have a source of "McLogEvent", and should be proximate to and "Error" entries.

6. The "System" log entries are created by the Windows Services management. Locate entries with a source of "eventlog" (these are created at Windows shutdown and boot-up. The failing service entries should follow (actually, precede, since the order is recent to first ).

7. To view any entry in either of these logs, right-click on the entry and click "Properties

GojuKid
Former Member
Message 183 of 230

I have posted my event log several times.... check previous entries. Doesn't seem to help. No answers yet. I have had this problem for 3 months now and it sure is annoying. I certainly will not renew.

Peacekeeper
Message 184 of 230

My post was for the other poster. Noone called you at all from Mcafee?

GojuKid
Former Member
Message 185 of 230

No one has contacted me from McAfee.

Peacekeeper
Message 186 of 230

Asked nicely to have you included sorry cannot guarantee a call but worth asking

GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 187 of 230

Update.....

I have completely uninstalled McAfee programs. I am using Avast and paid version of Malwarebytes. I have been doing this for 3 weeks 24/7. Not one glitch!! They are both running in real time and work together nicely. My McAfee subscription expires in October and won't be renewed. What a waste of money.

Peacekeeper
Message 188 of 230

Sorry you could not get a solution using Mcafee good luck with your current solution.

Most of the other posters here who were contacted had malware affecting them. If you ever find an issue with your PC that could have, you feel, contributed please let me know.

emtjoe
Former Member
Message 189 of 230

Is it possible that the "Not Protected" message could be caused by a conflict with a "keylogger" program?   I installed one when my then teenage children were living at home and transferred it over to this computer when I bought it (Why I don't know.  The kids were out of the house by then).  I noticed not too long ago that the keylogger program didn't load sometimes and that coincidentally I would get the "Not Protected" message.  This was even though I had "instructed" McAfee to trust this program.  I would get the Not Protected message at other times but the keylogger program was always running in the background.  Got me to thinking that possibly the keylogger program running could be causing a conflict with McAfee.  I decided to remove it from "Start Up" and I no longer run it because there is no reason to.  SInce then I have gone the longest period ever with a NP message since this problem started.  Am I on the right track here or is it just coincidence?

Peacekeeper
Message 190 of 230

Sounds a reasonable thought. Keylogging could be happening as an update comes in so things could be corrupted. I am only guessing here but keep us updated re any issues. I would uninstall it completely as well.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community