cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 151 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

Pretty well running bare... minimum drivers loaded. Got this after automatic update

A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 4208 (0x1070)
Thread address : 0x7C90E514
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\Engine\5301.4018\config.dat
by c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)

Peacekeeper
Message 152 of 230

If you get an email from Mcafee asking for contact to help you here please reply. Several have not.

Not all are contacted so far 7 and Gojukid1 I have added you to the list so look for a contact from Mcafee.

emtjoe
Former Member
Message 153 of 230

After not seeing the dreaded "Your Computer is Not Protected" message for a while it came back twice, once on Friday and once on Saturday.  Both times it informed me that SystemGuards was not working.  On Friday, I noticed the message after being away from the computer for a while and long (at least 3 hours) after I allowed an update. On Saturday I got the message immediately after an update.  Clicking on the "Fix" button did fix the problem both times.  I do have SC set to notify me when updates are available so I can be at the computer when the download and install.  Maybe against my better judgement, I did purchase Total Protection 2010 as my current subscription is due to expire in 10 days.    Is there really an end to this in sight?

saty
Former Member
Message 154 of 230

No NPs since 12/5 and it started again tonight after the Update

Peacekeeper
Message 155 of 230

So far only 3 of the 7 contacted replied they were interested in a free investigation.  Please reply and take part that way Mcafee can check what is causing this.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/01/10 8:46:36 AM
emtjoe
Former Member
Message 156 of 230

Is it possible that some people are reluctant because they don't want a "stranger" looking around in their computer?  Perhaps they need some assurances as to exactly what will be looked at.  Hopefully, McAfee will be able to figure this out once and for all.

curta
Former Member
Message 157 of 230

It's also possible that after paying good money for software that is supposed to work, customers are reluctant to invest their own time helping the vendor get it working properly.

Would you want to help General Motors diagnose an intermittent electrical fault, or would you just expect them to fix it? Just saying.

Peacekeeper
Message 158 of 230

They are trustworthy and I did have 1 play around with mine. The service is usually a paid service and they are waiving the charge.

As I said previously out of  tens of millions of users there are 34 posting here so issue not common BUT they want to close this off.

aprilfool
Former Member
Message 159 of 230

My problem has disappeared.  It was only occuring when I was trying to copy files off of a dying and very slow external HDD.  The thread timed out trying to scan a variety of jpgs, one that I was not able to recover from the disk.  Without that, McAfee has not suspended.  If it helps the investigation, I would be willing to reconnect the drive for the investigators and have them take control. Let me know if I can help.

It made me think that McAfee was not gracefully handling being unable to complete the scan within a predetermined threshold, so Windows kills the thread.  Just guessing.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 160 of 230

Peacekeeper wrote:

So far only 3 of the 7 contacted replied they were interested in a free investigation.  Please reply and take part that way Mcafee can check what is causing this.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/01/10 8:46:36 AM

Hi, Tony:

I, too, started experiencing this from time to time recently (within the past 2-3 weeks, when the consumer updates CDN problems started).

The most recent time was Sunday, after running a manual update to the day's current DAT file.

As soon as the popup stating "installation complete" disappeared, the popup stating "system not protected" appeared.

It was the "Computer/Files" and "Email/IM" components, and clicking on "fix it", DID resolve it.

This was the 2nd time this has happened (last time was ~10 days ago after an episode of DAT update issues had been resolved. Sunday, though, there was nothing happening on the system - things were stable and it was just a routine update. Yesterday I was entirely off the grid -- no electricity b/c of repair work. Today, updates installed fine.)

Until a couple of weeks ago, I'd NEVER had a "red X" issue.

Note: thus far, this does NOT seem to be happening when system is idle or before/after scheduled scans.

Just immediately following updating, and not consistently.

Is this the same or a different issue?

Thanks!

MM

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community