Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leann
Contributor
Message 121 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

Hi Peacekeeper

I have been reading through these forums dating from early 2009 and can see that this is obviously a common issue. I was hoping for an easy answer. At least it looks like there may be solutions now, but they are starting to get very complicated!

I am running a brand new Windows 7 64 bit machine, only 2 weeks old. I installed McAfee Total Protection 2010 immediately on unpacking the PC from the box.

I have no other spyware, etc installed, and no viruses because it is brand spanking new and McAfee has been running the whole time.

As for so many others on these posts, I get the red cross 'Your PC is not protected' message when I return to my machine, especially if the PC has been hibernating overnight. Status update shows that the firewall is turned off. This has been happening since the first day it was installed. I assumed I had set the settings incorrectly. Clicking 'fix' turns the firewall back on, but the same thing happens again later.

From all the previous forum messages I have read, I conclude that this is because of a timing issue when McAfee is doing its live updates. Is this a correct summary?? I have now turned off the auto install for the live updates so that it prompts me first before installing. Will this solve the problem?

Many thanks

Leann

Peacekeeper
Message 122 of 230

Leann sorry your new PC is having this issue two things come to mind

1 what version of the programs have you by version I mean Security centre version and build and Virusscan version etc

2. Issue is usually now it appears during real time scanning have you run the event viewer and checked what caused the timeout? IE what file was it scanning?

How to do this is posted several time up the thread a bit.

Check this as it is a new install on a new PC next I would suggest an uninstall via the mcpr removal tool in the useful links tab at top of page and then reinstall from your account.

Check and post results of above first

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 9/01/10 10:14:27 AM
curta
Former Member
Message 123 of 230

I must say that I'm extremely disappointed with McAfee software.  The problem, described extensively in the 22 pages of diagnosis here, cropped up while I was away on work and my wife tried to resolve the issue with tech support, but when she was told to reinstall the OS I told her to just shut the thing down and work from the laptop until I returned and could deal with it. I did the obvious stuff, got frustrated by the consistent problems, then came to this BB for advice. It's obvious that McAfee do not have a handle on the problem even after 9 months of customers complaining about it.

I bought the software to protect things while I was away, and I suppose in one way it did: sitting unplugged gathering dust it's not going to get a virus is it? I have 14 months left on the licence and for now my only option is to un-install the damn thing, install AVG and wait until McAfee figure this problem out.  Not good.

One has to wonder, for all the individuals discussing their experiences here, how many unsuspecting average consumers have already given up on McAfee and moved on? Having such a significant problem unresolved for nearly a year has got to be hurting their reputation if not their bottom line.

Peacekeeper
Message 124 of 230

Actually this issue is since September the other similiar issue was fixed in 9.11 version. Not withstanding that can you check the event viewer and post what Mcafee is chocking on as we asked a page or so back.

GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 125 of 230

My latest hang.....

A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 2936 (0xb78)
Thread address : 0x7C90E514
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\Engine\5301.4018\config.dat
by c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

Wild-Turkey
Former Member
Message 126 of 230

Hello everyone. I too am having a problem with the popup "! Am I Protected? No" message.  This is on a new Dell 8000 running WIN 7 that I have been transferring files to from my Dell Laptop running XP.  This has been happening for the last few days. Clicking "Fix Now" does not help.  Today I called McAfee support and went through all the handshaking and Q&A,  We did a "CLEAN" after check marking two more items (cookies, and cache).  Then I ran a full scan with no problems.  After this I clicked on UPDATE just to make sure I had the current fixes, etc. Finally, clicked on the McAfee icon and it came up with a green popup saying I was protected.  Great!  I checked the other Users and they also were ok.  This lasted until I imported my Outlook .pst files into my wife's Outlook.  Everthing imported correctly.  Hower...the evil "! Am I Protected? No" message came back.  So, I went through the whole routine of "CLEAN" and "SCAN" again (only did the short scan this time...it took 2 hours before).  This time the bad popup did not go away.  So I called support again.

After listening to 45 minutes of music, when the hold time was estimated at 10 mins., I hung up and redialed.  While I listened to the music I decided to visit McAfee's website and came accross this forum.  While the music played, I read all the horror stories about this thread.  That took another 30 minutes (during which I signed up as a participant).  When the fellow from across the "the other side" finally came on, I was ready. Before he started into his routine, I told him that I was aware of an existing problem with the popup going back to November 2009 and asked if they had found a fix.  He did not know, so we went through the handshaking and Q&A.  Afterwards, I mentioned that this problem did not exist on my Laptop running XP.  He said that he would check on some information and put me on hold for a minute or so.

When he came back, I told him that this was a "known" problem and that he should also check the forum on McAfee's website.  He excused himself again and was back in a minute or so.  This time he acknowledged that he could not help me and would push me up to Level 2.  I expect a call from them tomorrow between 9:00am and 11:00am.  He said that they will go one step further and take control of my computer and solve the problem...I hope so.  Anyway, I will keep you informed on my progress (or lack of).   Hang in there.  Together, we will win this one!

Peacekeeper
Message 127 of 230

As I posted initially in the 1st post of this thread the issue can be caused by many things. The recent posts imply the real time scanner is timing out on some files. Can you look back and post the logs for the event viewer as to whether your Mcafee is tiomming out and if so on what file.

Ensure you have the date correct and no other scanner active and this includes paid for versions of adware and malwarebytes .

If the T2 calling you fixes things I would like to know what was wrong Make sure you ask him as the T3s I talk to have no definite fix as yet.

Peacekeeper
Message 128 of 230

GojuKid1 please uninstall malwarebytes fully and see if issue stays.

Pointing a T3 to your issue

RickStress
Former Member
Message 129 of 230

Purchased the Internet Security 2009 in August for my sons new lap top for college. Installed and registered the product no problem, few days later my son calls me and states that the software is showing not protected and needs to be registered. He returns home for Thanksgiving I attempted to reregister the product, no go. I uninstalled the product reinstalled and registered it again, seems all fine, Until ! A few days later he calls me again same problem! Now he is home for Christmas break still the same problem, the online chat customer service is worthless and a complete waste of time!!! To this point his computer has been infected twice with a Trojan.  I have installed this software FOUR times and now all it is worth is to keep my desk from getting a ring from my coffee cup. I stopped using McAfee in 2007 after using them for many years and now I remember why! Waste of time and money. I WILL NEVER USE McAfee PRODUCT AGAIN!!! EVER!!!       

Message was edited by: RickStress on 1/13/10 1:37:19 AM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 130 of 230

Rickstress have you checked the list of possible causes 1st post here and especially look at other malware antiAV programs running at the same time. Running twio scanners with both having real time scanning active will cause issues.

Also run Malwarebytes and superantispyware over the discs as back up checkers.

then open the even viewer and post the logs re what is causing the time out  if this is your issue.

see below

The Windows "Event Log" is indeed the location you need.  Windows Vista and XP should have similar access.  No ideas for Windows 7, although it also should be similar.

For Windows XP, the sequence to access is:

1.  Right-click on "My Computer" (or, "Start ---> Administrative Tools", if in your "Start Menu")

2.  Click "Manage"

3.  Expand "Event Viewer" (click on the "+")

4.  The log entries needed are in two (2) locations:  "Application" and "System"

5.  The entries under "Application" will have a source of "McLogEvent", and should be proximate to and "Error" entries.

6.  The "System" log entries are created by the Windows Services management.  Locate entries with a source of "eventlog" (these are created at Windows shutdown and boot-up.  The failing service entries should follow (actually, precede, since the order is recent to first ).

7.  To view any entry in either of these logs, right-click on the entry and click "Properties".

What is not recognised here  is out of several tens of millions of users we have 36 posters here with the issue. This and the chat calls really add up to a very small percentage of users. that said we mods are pushing for a solution in every weekly call we make. I have 9 Mcafee installs in my family and all work fine. We have never seen the not protected issue since version 9.11 was released in August. That is why I keep asking for info on the systems to see if I can see a common program installed or hardware or download issue.

Still here to try to help.

If you uninstall via mcpr tool (useful links above) and reinstall from the Australia site you will get the new 2010 version. Works fine and less memory imprint. Any1 want to try?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community