cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 91 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

Ok run the thing tho if you could check a few things I would appreciate it.

1 Does the folder mentioned contain files?

2. Does the custom scanner stop at the same file?

3. Are you dual booting wondering as both yours and other folder list says Device\HarddiskVolume3?

4 PMing you a question

Peacekeeper
Message 92 of 230

BTW have a happy new year preferrably "Not Protected free"

cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 93 of 230

I have uninstalled the Adobe Download Manager

1. I don't have /programs/NOS folder

2. Custom scan completed (as they all have done)

3. No dual boot just several backup drives that I scan at the same time!

GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 94 of 230

I have the same problem. It's been an occassional problem for some time and started to be a permanent problem on December 14 according to my logs.

I do not have /programs/NOS folder

I have uninstalled, cleaned, reinstalled McAfee and the problem still exists. There is nothing on my machine that shouldn't be (other scans all come up clean).

Hmmm.. I pay for this and do not have any protection!?!?!?!

Message was edited by: GojuKid1 on 12/31/09 10:03:40 AM CST
GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 95 of 230

Interesting....

I have Malwarebytes installed and it set to run when Windows XP is started. It seems to be stopping McShield from loading.

A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 2396 (0x95c)
Thread address : 0x7C90E514
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\VIRUSSCAN\1033\VSLOGRES.DLL
by C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

If I do not load Malwarebytes on Windows start up, McAfee loads fine. I can start the Malwarebytes manually after that and all seems to be fine. Anyone else have these programs running. I have another computer set up in the exact same way. Malwarebytes and McAfee load on start up without the 'Not Protected' error.

SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 96 of 230

GojuKid1 wrote:

"...... and started to be a permanent problem on December 14 according to my  logs"

What occurred on or around December 14 ?  Did any Microsoft updates apply on or just before that date ?

I enquire as to a surprising experience in the last several days.  I have an older PC, unused for about 6-8 weeks, which I am about to convert to a "Linux" box .  This PC had NEVER exhibited the "Not Protected" scenario (the theme of this thread).  After booting it up, a large amount of Microsoft maintenance needed to be applied (I could have skipped it, but ........ ).  I applied the updates in three (3) groups.

The first group:

Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226

Updates KB969947, KB975467, KB890830 (MSRT Dec 2009), KB973525 (ActiveX Killbits), KB971486, KB971737, KB974392, KB976325(IE), KB973904, KB973687, KB974571, KB975025, KB974112, KB969059, KB974318, KB976098, KB970430 and KB958869

Aftger the required re-boot, the "Not Protected" pop-up was shown, with "System Guards Disabled".  (NB:  the "Killbits" was associated with the Adobe Flash scare several months ago), and the IE highlight was a "cumulative Security Update for IE", mentioned since McAfee is "deeply dependent on updated Internet Explorer".

The second group was all Microsoft Office (Word, EXCEL, etc) with one update to Microsoft Windows Media Format Runtime.  (I doubt that any of this group are germane to the "Not Protected" problem).

The third group:

Update KB955759, KB953300 and KB953297 (.Net Framework), and KB973688 (Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2).

Following the (again) required re-boot, the "Not Protected" scenario is in full form, (Real-time scanning disabled, spyware protection, etc) and "Fix" does not work immediately.  After about 10 minutes, some of the problems clear, and "Fix" works again.

NBNo actions of any kind, other than described above were performed on this PC.  After checking the logs of my other two (2) Windows PC's, the problem(s) in the "Not Protected" thread follow these same Microsoft Update(s), particularly the XML Core Services Update.  I am investigating the possibility of safely removing this last update.

(To check Microsoft Updates on your PC, go to Microsoft Update (or Windows Update) and click "Review your Update History").

Vista and Windows 7Vista should exhibit similar-named updates, most likely with a different "KB" spefication.  Windows 7, no idea, anyone?

Question for the McAfee support:  are any of the identified McAfee services (System Guards, Real-Time Scanning, etc) dependent on XML services, or sensitive to the IE security updates or ".Net" facilities ?

GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 97 of 230

No Microsoft Windows updates were done. I do them manually and the last time was September.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 98 of 230

September?   Microsoft's critical updates occur on the 2nd Tuesday of every month....those should not be ignored.

Peacekeeper
Message 99 of 230

Out of interest is this on all operating systems I see XP but any1 on win 7 or vista getting it?

cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 100 of 230

I am on Vista.

I have a laptop with much the same software installed running on XP without the Not Protected issue.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community