cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 31 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

Thanks for that more please if possible I am correlating the replies into an email to the T3s who developed the "fix"

BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 32 of 230

Hi Cpmdoc,

Thank you so much for the screen short,

I just wanted to clarify few things: how old is the computer? Did you tried to start the McAfee services from Services.msc? If yes, did you get any error?

did you happen to get in touch with any of our tech support team. If not, I would suggest you to click on the following link to get a free Chat support.   

Technical Support for Home and Home Office Chat https://service.mcafee.com/UserInfo.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=CHAT

Thanks Pecekeeper. It would be great if you can loop me to the email you compose for Tier 3.

cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 33 of 230

It is a 2 year old XPS 720.

Hadn't previously tried to restart using services.msc as the 'Fix' button tends to work first time! Trying to start it seems to initially start it but it immediately stops again.  Seems to take a while to come back reporting that the Real-Time scanner is 'started' but then refreshing or viewing properties shows that it has stopped again.

I will try a support Chat session although I suspect I will waste my time going round in circles with someone who understands the problem less than those posting in this forum!

Chris

plenty_otoole
Former Member
Message 34 of 230

Satys,

If your question is "Does the 'Fix' button in Security Center produce a permanent, lasting fix with all protection enabled", within the context and meaning of this thread my opinion is that no, it does not 'fix' anything permanently or everything even temporarily.

The non-verbose non-technical explanation I have is that a trojan was responsible for the problem. Removing all of the trojans and doing the other things I described has my system running fine. No more stopped services in McAfee, no more popups, no detectable (by anything) trojans, malware or viruses of any kind. It has been running fine since a little before Midnight last night, about twenty-two hours and so many minutes.

As suggested by Peacemaker, the trojan quickly turns off the one thing that should have (but didn't) warned of it's presence. It begins replicating the file into other existing directories and makes changes to the registry. There may be a couple other things it's doing along the way but I don't have enough to prove them so I will leave it at that.

Peacekeeper
Message 35 of 230

Thanks yes that is the way this issue can be started up . That is why I suggested some free scanners I could not suggest the other i1 used above as it is a direct competitor.

Bala suggested to call /contact chat as each contact gets logged and the more logging the more piority might be given to the issue ie an issue that 1 user reports gets less work on than 1 1200 report. Thus the more contacts the merrier this my feeling of the statement.

By the way I am Peacekeeper.... funny how many change my name maybe that is a hint

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/12/09 4:55:39 PM
cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 36 of 230

plenty_otoole

I have not been able to identify any virus / trojan / malware as a cause.

I have run McAfee full scans, Defender, SAS, MVT, F-secure, Malwarebytes, Ad-aware and other than the odd tracking cookie then there was nothing.

Your problem looks to have been picked up with F-secure...is that right?

Chris

KathiMR
Former Member
Message 37 of 230

I've been getting these messages because I also got the not protected message and posted about it. As near as I can tell though nothing was actually amiss.  It said to open McAfee security center which showed that everything was fine so I don't know why I got the message.

BTW another malware scanner that I had seen highly recommended is A2. It claims to have a very high rate of catching the bad stuff.  Its freeware and easy to use.  I think someone on the Dell user forums recommended it and then others did as well.  I used to run Adaware SE but recent reviews for it haven't been as good as they used to be.

Peacekeeper
Message 38 of 230

KathiMR when you get the message again please take a screen shot of

1 the message

2. The Mcafee GUI with the red bar

3 run services and show what mcafee services are started etc

plenty_otoole
Former Member
Message 39 of 230

Chris,

That's correct.

My advice is to also use whatever utility you feel comfortable with to watch your running processes realtime. I am currently using Microsoft "Process Explorer" which is available for free here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

It is free and answers a lot of questions about what process belongs to who and what resources it's using. At a glance I can tell what is running and what is not. Much better and faster than Task Manager.

cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 40 of 230

Having got all paranoid by plenty_otoole and his virus / trojan report then I thought I would try some more online free antivirus scanners!!

TrendMicro HouseCall showed the system to be clean.

Norton / Symantec gave this result:

3907682 files scanned, 2 file(s) infected on your disk drives.

No viruses were detected in memory.

Your computer is infected with at least one known virus or Trojan horse.

Search for the name of the threat(s) listed below on the Symantec Security Response site for removal information.

C:\Program Files\MP3 Player Utilities 4.00\DelDrv.exe is infected with Adware.Gen 
C:\Program Files\AutoPlay Media Studio 7.0\Data\sfe.dat is infected with Trojan Horse

I have cleaned these files but I am surprised that McAfee didn't pick them up!

Either way...I will see what happens and report back!

Chris

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community