cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astor
Contributor II
Message 1 of 4

Update status is incorrectly displayed

When I open up McAfee SecurityCenter part way down the window it always says "Updates: Current".  Yet I know it's not true.  I click on the "Check for updates" and an update is downloaded and installed.  Do others see this?  McAfee please fix this or else remove the notification as it's useless and misleading at the moment.

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Update status is incorrectly displayed

I'm not sure of the cut-off when SecurityCenter decides to ring alarm bells for an out-of-date DAT but I think it's around 48 hours.  I could check that for you if you wish.   The display wont change to a warning if it's within the last 24  to 48 hours becuase it often takes an entire day for updates to reach all the world's servers.

SecurityCenter polls every 4 hours for updates automatically and silently.

astor
Contributor II
Message 3 of 4

I now understand.  I still think it's misleading but I understand to make is perfectly correct there would need to be a more frequent polling of the server(s) to check if there is a more recent version of the software or signatures.  That probably would put too much load on the servers.  Perhaps it would be better not to display an update status at all and only warn the user if an update has not been downloaded for more than 2 days or more.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Perhaps it would be better not to display an update status at all and only warn the user if an update has not been downloaded for more than 2 days or more.

I'm inclined to agree with you there!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community