cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
papilot312
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Update problem

Can anyone confirm problems updating from DAT 5825 to 5826 (I assume). Has tried to download a few times this evening, but it times out after several minutes on "downloading" status. Have used the stickied fix by going into safe mode and removing the DAT, then trying update again once back in normal mode. Is this a McAfee server issue, DAT problem, or something else?

Tim

12 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Re: Update problem

Could be a local server issue as mine updated OK.   Still a problem?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Hi,

This might occur because of the following reasons;

Check whether the system’s date and time are correct .
Check and delete if you have any other antivirus software in add/remove programs (or) C:/program files and common files.

Run the update tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MSCPRXFIX.exe.
Restart the computer and check for updates.

Thanks,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

papilot312
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Still not ok. Cannot access the download.mcafee.com site. I can access other McAfee sites, just not download.mcafee.com.

Tim

papilot312
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Update: Solved the issue with a fix of my HOSTS file. Now can access https://download.mcafee.com and http://download.mcafee.com and McAfee Virtual Technician works correctly again. MVT says no problems found. Latest DAT (5827) is installed. No McAfee alerts or errors found, no viruses or spyware found. All fixed.

Tim

Message was edited by: papilot312 on 12/9/09 4:39:59 PM GMT-05:00
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 13

An interesting outcome Tim.   I wonder how the HOSTS file got changed in the first place?

Mohan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 13

Hi Tim,

I would recomend you to do a complete scan of your computer using McAfee.Host files edited or changed happens due to malware on the computer.They tend to block you from getting on to security site ensuring that your existing anti-virus does not get updated.This would  help the malware to work activly on the computer.

Regards,

Mohan.B    

McAfee Tier-2.5 Lead

Message was edited by: Mohan on 12/9/09 4:27:41 PM CST
Aldrin
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

Even Spybot Search & Destory program has a capability to modify the host file in the computer.....

JanVermeer
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

I have been experiencing the same problem every day since Tuesday (Dec 😎 and therefore am still on DAT 5825 (Dec 7). Both automatic updates and one attempted manual update have the same effecti.e. the process times out.

Looking at the solution which worked for you, I see a change to the HOSTS file was involved. I don't know much about this except that the last time I contacted a McAfee technician I was shown how to change the HOSTS file, but I have since forgotten how to do this! Can anyone advise on my best way of proceeding? Thanks,

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 13

See "Edit the HOST File" down this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/ietopten.mspx

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community