cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
STR-Gabe
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Unexpected Restart - Win7HomePrem(64) HP-Pavillion-p6210y, anyone?

Hi

Our computer unexpectedly restarted on its own. No one was using it at the time. It was connected to the internet through a broadband connection (always on). The following websites were open on the desktop, facebook, yahoo and hotmail. Once again, no one was working on the computer when it happened and we only knew something had happened because we heard the restart sound file.

I have McAfee total protection installed so I checked the logs for McAfee. The logs indicated three processes at 8:23 PM (ET) which is when the restart happened. The three processes were allowed by McAfee and were done by:

C:\Windows\system32\csrss.exe

The three process versions are as follows:

6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) \S-1-5-51-1463493925-2079651382-3285011194-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Application Restart#1C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLMLSvc.exe

6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) \S-1-5-51-1463493925-2079651382-3285011194-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Application Restart#2C:\Progrm Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\DVD\DVDAgent.exe

6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) \S-1-5-51-1463493925-2079651382-3285011194-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Application Restart#3C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

All three of these processes seemed to have occurred at exactly the same time as the restart. I ran a full scan with nothing found. I ran "sfc /SCANNOW" with negative results as well. I did a manual scan of only csrss.exe and it was fine. So I finally downloaded and ran RegRun6 from Greatis and sent them the log file. They responded within 12 hours and confirmed that no malware could be found on the system and to check my hardware. So, although I am a bit reassured about this already, I still would like to know if there was a reason this restart happened on its own with no one at the helm. I feel the above log entries from McAfee are related since they were at the exact time the restart occurred. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Gabriel Caceres

HP-Pavillion-p6210y, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 6GB-RAM, Athlonll X4 (P) 620 2.6 GHz (95W) Complete Specs at: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01859864&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4006020

3 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unexpected Restart - Win7HomePrem(64) HP-Pavillion-p6210y, anyone?

Hi,

All the three of those process seems to be an update for your operating system, Hence the restart should be a normal one which happens after an essential nicrosoft update.Moreover apart from these keep your antivirus software uptodate and run scans frequently and you should be alright. Kindly report back if you have any other issues.

Regards,
Dinesh K

STR-Gabe
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Hi

Thanks a bunch for your response Dinz. This is exactly what I ended up thinking must have happened. There is no other explanation and even "Event Viewer" did not reveal any malware intrusion, only system actions. Certainly and odd ocurrence but one that should be investigated nonetheless. Random reboots are a hallmark of possible hacking/virus attacks so no wonder it kinda drove me nuts for a while. Once again, thank you for your expertise and hopefully this posting will also help others. Kudos to you.

Thanks,

Gabe

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

You are welcome, Do report back if you have any issues with McAfee software on a new thread.

Thanks,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community