cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
causeway
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Unable to remove 2010 MTP and upgrade to 2011.....HELP

Hi there, I am trying to remove 2010 and upgrade to 2011 with windows 7 and having no luck.

I have followed the instructions and this what happens. After removing programs and using removal tool, the computer becomes unstable and goes into safe mode. I have to use recovery to bring the OS back. Spent 2hrs with TSR etc and they say it is my operating system is defective. Call microsoft. Computer says windows has stopped working when I run the MVT. Therefore I am unable to run MVT. Customer service says its my problem and not theirs. the one thing I've learned from this is I will NEVER use McAfee again. At this point I just want to get the program off my computer and get a refund. So far I have 4 hrs invested into this and still no way out. Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks George.

Message was edited by: causeway on 11/02/11 7:26:45 CST AM
10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: Unable to remove 2010 MTP and upgrade to 2011.....HELP

Can you take the machine to a local repair shop?  If Tech Support are unable to help I suspect that the machine is compromised in some way as the normal uninstallation of McAfee Consumer software is routine and should only take minutes and not cause problems.  All the removal tool does is attempt to remove leftover traces of the software that the uninstaller may have left behind and it doesn't touch anything else.

Has any type of registry cleaner been used by any chance and/or have there been any peculiarities in behaviour evident at all that might indicate malware infection?

Also was the machine kept up to date - Windows and other software updates?

By the way Customer Service deal only with account matters, I'm assuming you meant Technical Support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/02/11 12:44:09 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 11

By the way, unless you were changing the type of package you have there's no need to uninstall one year to get the next, it would automatically upgrade anyway.  Also 2011 hasn't been released yet anyway, the package labelled 2011 on store shelves are simply the 2010 product relabelled, a common industry practice.

The 2011 product is still in the public beta testing stages.

causeway
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Thanks For your help. Its my mothers laptop. She called mcafee to renew her sub and they sent her a disc. When you check the MTP it says the sub is active. When I update it says I need to buy a new sub. Computer seems to run fine. Can I use AVG and just lease mcafee alone?

George

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

I would imagine so but only the sales people can tell you definitely.  That's Customer Service and is a free phone call:

Telephone Customer Service

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call
1-866-622-3911. You may be asked for your registered email address and
order number. Telephone charges may apply.
Average contact length: 10  minutes
Estimated wait time: 5-10 minutes
Hours of Operation: Available daily, 6am-6pm Pacific (9am - 9pm Eastern)

causeway
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Sorry I typed wrong. So I can leave mcafee on the computer expired and use a different security program?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

I misunderstood, no you should uninstall it if it's expired as it may start causing problems.

The removal tool is here:  http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100507&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777217&turl...

causeway
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Right, but if I do that then the computer becomes unstable. So I should take it to a repair shop? I hate to pay over 100.00

George

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Something else is at fault and the act of removing McAfee obviously is the trigger.  It could be malware, believe me when I say that there isn't a security suite in the world that will stop everything out there, and I equally know that removal of said software would never normally create this sort of mess.

It could just as easily have been Norton or Kaspersky security software, certain things would still creep in if due care wasn't taken, could be as simple as a single click on a bad link.  One has to be so careful these days and always make sure too that the machine is kept totally up to date, also all the software contained therein.   I'm not saying that it's your fault, it could be anything and I'm just speculating as to the cause.

You could try downloading, updating and running the free version of THIS software in "Safe Mode with Networking" (Safe Mode with the internet) reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.  That software is designed to run in either Safe or regular mode.  If it can be done in regular mode, all the better as it's easier that way.

If all that fails then it's either a PC repair shop at 100 or McAfee Virus Removal Service for about the same and they would most likely use that same tool as part of the process anyway.

I wish I had better news.

causeway
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Well thank you for your time. And I will try it in safe mode which does work fine. If all else fails I will send it in. Again, Thank you for your time. I will let you know how it turns out.   thanks  George.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community