cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DCanuck
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Unable to install

I just purchased total Protection 2009 for 3 computers. I uninstalled previous McAfee software, installed the new one on my desktop no problem, but I am unable to install on the laptop.

I login, the download works fine put when the software tries to install it gives me a fail for all items and says the software was not installed. No other error report.

To experiment I tried to re-install my old Quickclean 6.1 but it doesn't. The process starts then it does a rollback and says something interrupted the installation. I tried in safe mode but got a warning the Administrator doen't authorize this installation.

I tried McAfee Virtual Technician a few times. When I still had the older McAfee software it failed. After the failed installation of Total protection 2009 the only option offered was to use the tech. I did and at the end it said no McAfee software not installed so it can't help me!

I am no expert but it seems something is preventeing McAfee products to install.

I use XP SP2, ran Windows update and all is up to date,
Explorer 7

Thanks, I hope somebody can help me.

Danny
7 Replies
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

RE: Unable to install

hi,

try to run this tool first:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreinstall.exe

also, make sure that your Windows and Java is fully updated. Run the Cleanup tool for McAfee to remove any remnants of the old software:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

reinstall your products.

hope it helps
DCanuck
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Dhon, it worked. I got McAfee software installed, however I have one more problem: Security Center works fine with my account, however there is a problem with all other accounts (including my wife's).

In my wife's account everything loads fine, but when I open Security Center a window opens but it stays blank. I right clicked the icon in the tray to check for updates and all, everything is fine except the window for Security Center that stays blank.

I suspect it might be a problem in Windows because other I tried to open the Account management window from my wife's account and got a blank window also. Again it works fine in my account.

I created a new account for a test, same problem!

Windows XP Media Center SP3,
Java updated

Thanks for your help, at least my account works and it is secure.

Look forward to some tips if possible,

Danny
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

try to run this tool:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/IERegfix.bat

run the tool on all accounts just to make sure.
DCanuck
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the help, unfortunatly it didn't fix the problem. Now all windows work except the window for Security Center.

With the blank Security Center openned, I clicked the help icon on the top right corner and it gave me an error, unable to open .... then the link to the file.

I appreciate you taking the time to help, and if you have any more ideas I would sure appreciate!

Danny
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

By the way, what is the version of your IE? if it's IE7, try resetting the settings (the risk is that it will delete your favorites, if you have have one, and change your homepage, which you can change back again.)

another thing, try to run MVT from http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt and post here the session id.

i'll flag this in our corner to get more help.
DCanuck
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

I forgot to mention that I have Explorer 7. I'll try your suggestions later and let you know the results, Thanks again.

Danny

Edit: Also in my wife's account I cannot activate the Siteadvisor toolbar. It is active and works fine in my account.

I ran MVT in my account, it encountered an error! In my wife's account it worked but said no McAfee programs not installed. Session ID is 14695497.

Thanks
DCanuck
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Problem solved! I uninstalled, used the preinstall and cleanup tools in both accounts then re-installed.

Thanks Dhon for your help, I could not have done it without your useful suggestions.

Danny
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community