Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davin995
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Unable to install McAfee Total Protection on pc

Jump to solution

Hi

im having a problem installing total protection on my new pc. it already runs on my laptop without any problems but when i try to install the same pakage onto me pc i get an error message reading "An unexpected error has occurred. The logn process has experienced an unexpected server access error. Please try again". The only option available on this error window is a "close" button. When I click on that I get another error message indicating "Your cancelled the installation before we could finish installing your software. To ensure your PC is protected against the latest threats, we recommend that you install your McAfee software now". i have tried to install it in safe mode with networking and normal mode, using both google chrome and internet explorer 10. my laptop has win7 home premium sp2 and the pc is win ultimate sp1. there arnt any othere anti-virus software's on the pc and i managed to install a 30 day trial of total protection and eventually get it to run. in my mcafee account on the pc it dosent display the free licence i hve i the laptop bundle where as on the laptop it dose. its the same account as  both computers are listed, i just cant see details about my laptop when im using the pc. it says "looking for device info? you'll find it right here - coming soon". the package dosent expire untell late 2014 and there is definitly a spare licence there.  i have used mcafee uninstall and cleared everything and then tried to reinstall but had no luck. i have also used the preinstall software too.

can someone please help??

Regards,

Davin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Re: Unable to install McAfee Total Protection on pc

Jump to solution

Customer Service can free up the license if it's still showing used when  it shouldn't be.   They are free to call or you can use online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Also linked there is Technical Support, also free to call or use online chat and they can help if the installation fails to work.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/10/13 6:24:53 EDT AM

View solution in original post

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

This is probably because remnants of the old software are stopping the installation, why I'm not sure.   By the way, both machines are Win 7 SP1 I assume as there never was an SP2 for Win 7...not yet anyway.

One thing to ensure, even if you don't use it, please make sure that Internet Explorer is v10 & totally up to date and at its default settings.

Uninstall everything McAfee via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program.

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Then go to your online account page and reinstall from there.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Moved to the SecurityCenter sub-forum for better support.

davin995
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

ok i have done everything you sugested. i checked Internet explorer and it is up to date. you were right about win7 sp1 as well, i miss read it. however i still get the erroe=r message upon instalation. also the setails on mylaptop are still not there so i dont have the option of directly downloading the remaining package with the licence. i have to go into reinstall where as in the account manager on my laptop i have the option of downloading the file with the one remaining licence

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Customer Service can free up the license if it's still showing used when  it shouldn't be.   They are free to call or you can use online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Also linked there is Technical Support, also free to call or use online chat and they can help if the installation fails to work.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/10/13 6:24:53 EDT AM
davin995
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

ok ill give that a try tomorrow.  thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Good luck 😉

davin995
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

ok got that sorted, went to chat with custamer support and all is good now

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

That's great, all the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community