cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poodles5
Former Member
Message 11 of 24

Re: Unable to download WinPatrol/add files to the trusted items.

Jump to solution

I just ried to upgrade Win Patrol- impossible- I checked my programs and win patrol is llisted by McAfee, however it calls the new version a trojan and blocks it. I sent notice to McAfee and Webroot support- I guess we will be stuck with the version we have installed.

Indicium
Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Jump to solution

poodles5 wrote:

... I guess we will be stuck with the version we have installed.

Or leave McAfee Incorporated where it is ... with it's ignorance!

Kind regards.

United we stand.

Microsoft Edge 44.x (ME 44.x) and/or Mozilla Firefox 68.x (Mozilla FF 68.x)
Microsoft Windows 10 Home (MS Win 10 Home (MS Win10 Home))
poodles5
Former Member
Message 13 of 24

Jump to solution

i just got it installed, followed instructios and turned off real time scanning- it installed and now being detected but not stopping install-turned back on real time scanning-

poodles5
Former Member
Message 14 of 24

Jump to solution

Win Patrol has issued a new download as of the 9th- corrected its install-Just received a e mail from Bill at Win Patrol- works and installed perfectly.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 24

Jump to solution

So the problem is fixed?

poodles5
Former Member
Message 16 of 24

Jump to solution

I  followed Win Patrols instructions, re downloaded fix they adjusted yestersay the 9th, it worked just fine, He also stated he being Bill was adware of McAfee users having a problem. It worked for me, I did before fix tried what you had suggested and turned off real time scanning while downloading, that worked also however I did a new download today and ran a scan and all seems ok.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 24

Jump to solution

That's great, let's hope it works for Indicium too.

Indicium
Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Add files to the trusted items.

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

That's great, let's hope it works for Indicium too.

It does for the latest version (BillP Studios WinPatrol 19.0)! However, it does (e.g.) not work for WinPatrol Dutch Setup 18.1.2010. As there is a new (English) version this is not a great nuisance.

Still I consider it very strange that McAfee Security Centre (MSC) has no option to add files to the trusted items. At this moment there was/is a problem with BillP Studios WinPatrol, which is a great program. Next time it may be with an other program. As a user you do not have any influence what MSC should do or not do! Anyway, in the next couple of weeks I have to decide whether I will continue the relationship with McAfee Incorporated.

Note: Bill Pytlovany stated on the website of "BillP Studios" re WinPatrol 19.0  that "McAfee was mis-reporting the WinPatrol setup program as a trojan. Obviously, this is a false-positive and attempts to work with McAfee have failed. I have created a new setup program which is not reported incorrectly. The files are identical to our previous version so unless you use McAfee you need not download this new version.

Kind regards.

United we stand.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 24

Re: Add files to the trusted items.

Jump to solution

OK and I agree that it would be great if one could simply tell McAfee to ignore something.   That hopefully will be part of a future version, maybe even next year's model.   We don't know yet as that version hasn't entered beta testing yet.  (Don't believe the ads and what you see on store shelves, those boxes labelled 2011 are merely re-labelled 2010 products.   All current subscriptions will upgrade automatically to any newer version).

However, going back to my earlier posts, if enough of you had bombarded McAfee Labs with false positive claims they would eventually have solved the problem themselves.

Indicium
Contributor
Message 20 of 24

Re: Add files to the trusted items.

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

OK and I agree that it would be great if one could simply tell McAfee to ignore something.

However, going back to my earlier posts, if enough of you had bombarded McAfee Labs with false positive claims they would eventually have solved the problem themselves.

Ok, I agree with you. Here are the results at this moment from VirusTotal (Hispasec Sistemas S.L.):

WinPatrol Dutch Setup 18.1.2010:

4cb1c499c2991-Screenshot-McAfee_Inc-WinPatrol-20101010152704

WinPatrol Setup 19.0.2010 (English):

4cb1c5d5a3bd6-Screenshot-McAfee_Inc-WinPatrol-20101010154337

Message was edited by: Indicium on 10/10/2010 16:20:38 CEST
Kind regards.

United we stand.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community