Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andypoulton
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Two scans running at the same time 'Possible'

Jump to solution

I now realise this has happened a few times lately. Now that I have found this community though I would post.

Dell W7 laptop. OE Security centre. Fully up to date.

I run a full manual scan. The cooling fan goes flat out. The scan completes 100% and states nothing found.

Interface hangs for a few seconds and will not close when clicking 'DONE' or X.

After closing the whirly wheel is going round on the task bar Icon. It says 'Scheduled scan  'percentage' completed'  [today 64%]

I open UI again and there it is.Scheduled scan running I click cancel. It flicks to 100% complete and closes.

Has two scans really been running side by side.

I am not very technical so would not know where to interogate to find out or is it a bug and others had it.

This was a recent  un-install re install from the lst round of not updating. Now the updating was hanging too as posted.

Cheers Andy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 14

Re: Two scans running at the same time 'Possible'

Jump to solution

BTW it just dawned on me, if you have scans using antivirus scheduled plus scans by Vulnerability Scanner under PC and Home Network Tools (it's on by default but you can turn it off) PLUS scheduled scans by QuickClean, then yes several scans could feasibly overlap, but they aren't all the same.

Take a look at those to make sure they don't overlap as that could certainly overtax your cooling system.

Also under antivirus scan settings make sure these 2 items are checked.

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Jump to solution

I think maybe the software is somehow corrupted as it is impossible for 2 scans to run at once, despite what you were seeing.

The update hang issue is being fixed in the coming weeks, if it's the little blue circle sticking on the Notification Area icon, that has already been fixed and is in testing.

Your installation would benefit from a cleanup.

Uninstall everything via Control Panel > Programs and Features, reboot if asked to.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

andypoulton
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

Jump to solution

Thanks Again Ex brit.

As I mentioned I only did this [un-install clean up re install ] on the 15th August. I will have to do that again then as yes the little blue circle is sticking if you say it has been fixed.

Cheers Andy

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

Jump to solution

OMG I know the feeling.  Good luck.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 14

Jump to solution

It has been fixed BUT not released as yet will/should be later on this month.

andypoulton
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

Jump to solution

Good evening.

As I mentioned I only did this [un-install clean up re install ] on the 15th August. I will have to do that again then as yes the little blue circle is sticking if you say it has been fixed.

Has this been fixed yet as mine is very random.

Sometimes it hangs sometimes [especially a proper update] works fine.

Now though it is forever searching for new updates every couple of hours.

Cheers Andy

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 14

Jump to solution

That is part of a an issue that the fix is for, and it is still being tested.  So no, it hasn't been released publicly yet.

andypoulton
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

Jump to solution

Did a full scan.

Fan went berserk flat out screaming to keep my laptop cool. Never had that before.

Eventually scan completed so I clicked DONE only to find another Scheduled scan running at about 81%

So I clicked cancel for that one only to find a quick scan running as well at about 23%.

So not one not two but THREE this time. I know I agreed it was not possible but a lot of the evidence proves different.

Cheers Andy

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 14

Jump to solution

This can't happen under normal circumstances.  Maybe the circumstances there aren't normal as I don't know your setup.   If you need that to be sorted out I think the only way would be to call Technical Support and have them take a look, it's free so why not?  Who knows they may even be able to get you the update.

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 14

Jump to solution

BTW it just dawned on me, if you have scans using antivirus scheduled plus scans by Vulnerability Scanner under PC and Home Network Tools (it's on by default but you can turn it off) PLUS scheduled scans by QuickClean, then yes several scans could feasibly overlap, but they aren't all the same.

Take a look at those to make sure they don't overlap as that could certainly overtax your cooling system.

Also under antivirus scan settings make sure these 2 items are checked.

Capture.JPG

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community