Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malky
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Trusting computers in a home network.

Another question for the techie guys.

I have 3 computers at home, hard wired, to a Netgear Router, rather than wireless, in a home network. I can trust 2 of them, numbers "two" and "three" but with the third one, number "one", I can not do anything with regards to trust, as the McAfee message states "Trust invitation not sent. "One" is connected to more than one network, and this network is not his preferred network".

Is the software reading the router as a PC, and refusing to "Trust" PC number "one" as a result of this, as the result of reading the connection between number "one" and the router as a seperate network?

Regards

Malky

9 Replies
Malky
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Re: Trusting computers in a home network.

Please ignore. Virtual Technician after several runs finally found that there was a missing file in the McAfee firewall.

Regards

Malky

Message was edited by: Malky on 18/02/10 10:43:16 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Duly ignored

Malky
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Well, I thought that this was the problem. Afraid not. Must be the configuration of the software.

Regards

Malky

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

As far as I know you can either Trust The Network or not, as far as individual machines go you can only mark them as Friend or Intruder.

Best contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links above.

Malky
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

The user has to "Trust" each individual PC on the home network. This is done by an individual password method, and a response time limit of 20 minutes to each and every machine.

Regards

Malky

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

Sorry, I was only going by what I see in my network section of Total Protection 2010.

I don't have networked machines so I should have shut up...sorry about that!

If there's a bug that is stopping it from working properly I recommend going to Technical Support Chat via the Useful Links above.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/02/10 11:53:28 EST AM
Malky
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

It turns up that when I registered my 2010 version, McAfee registered 4 computers in the home network instead of 3. One had been registered twice. I had to remove all trace of McAfee products, by using and including the Network and product removal tools.  Then I re-installed 2010 and "Trusted" each in turn. It now is as it should be.

So this should be the end of the "Trust" problem, I hope!!

Regards

Malky.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

LOL, ah well, at least it's now fixed...we hope.  Good luck.

Malky
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

Cheers Peter.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community