cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmcgowan
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Trouble with updates

So tired of McAfee updates turning my system to junk. Latest one has it barely running. If I uninstall McAfee and run the free windows software the system is back to normal. I can't wait for my subscription to end. McAfee can stuff their trouble making updates and their efforts to get more money right up their ass.

9 Replies
pmcgowan
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Trouble with updates

Netguard disabled and system is back to functioning. Great service from McAfee just troublesome software. Why can't it just do it's job without my interaction and frequent repair? I want security software that doesn't need a babysitter

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 10

If netguard is the issue allow the detected site in its list.

Rarely do I see a netguard detection

Are you saynig Netgaurd is slowing your PC down?

If so will ask at our call tomorrow

pmcgowan
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

I allowed remote access by a McAfee tech and after a few questions he went straight to the firewall section and unchecked the Netguard feature. Bingo- fixed.

joefranko
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

I'm having the same issue. After the last update my computer slowed down to a crawl on the internet. I finally determined it was the MF software causeing the problem. Turning the firewall off or turning Net Gaurd off and my computer is back to normal. What gives and when will another update send my system back to normal!?

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 10

Seems netguard is an issue for some users all My installs and my family installs fine so something is causing this slowing down. Will reask again next week if there is an update re this.

joefranko
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Well, everything was fine until the last update and I don't remember whether or not Netguard was installed previously. I do know that turning NetGuard off solves the problem and that I haven't had any problems at all before the last update. My guess is either that the last update turned Netguard on or something in the last update is interfering with Netguard. At first I thought the issue was with my router or my IP, but when I noticed web pages I usually go to (Rosettastone for one) all of a sudden slowed way down and in some cases hung completely (my professional website), I got out my MAC and noticed it was accessing the pages just fine, so that ruled out the router and the IP. Then I took my laptop to work and connected it to the T1 line and the problem was still there. The only thing I could think of then was that the problem was in the computer. The antivirus software I used to use gave me the same problem some years ago, so i decided to close down the firwall and noticed that solved things, so I began to look at the McAfee website and discovered this thread. Sure enough, I turned the McAvee firewall back on and the Netgaurd off and everything was normal.

I'm running a Windows 7 (64) on an intel i5 and McAfee Total Protection with 6 Mbytes of memory on a Dell 15R computer with a 4 GB solid state drive. It's usually screaming when it accesses the internet!

joefranko
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

woops...that should be a 256 GB solid state drive!

astor
Contributor II
Message 9 of 10

Peacekeeper wrote:

If netguard is the issue allow the detected site in its list.

Rarely do I see a netguard detection

Are you saynig Netgaurd is slowing your PC down?

If so will ask at our call tomorrow

Of course Netgaurd is an issue for some users.  It's been reported as such a long time ago, and the "fix" was to turn it off.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 10

There is a new netguard issue just happened  that they are looking into. Sometimes netguard does not like a site and you have to allow it or disable Netguard. I used to have issues with it and Steam gaming platform games but that was sorted out. This should as well soon I hope.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community