Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halton
Contributor III
Message 1 of 8

Tracking Cookies

Jump to solution

Recently during the scheduled scans  I have encountered the following various issues have been found and fixed. When I tried to find out what they were it turned they were tracking cookies. Is this serious?

If it is serious how can I fix this?

Jerry

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Re: Tracking Cookies

Jump to solution

Hmmm. There's another discussion about tracking cookies HERE which might be of interest. RTS may not be blocking them properly - or it might be. I'm not seeing any at all.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Not serious. McAfee will detect them and get rid of them if you want; most cookies will also be deleted by a disk cleanup program like CCleaner. Of course, they do track your progress on a website, which you may not want; or across websites, which you may very definitely not want. Depending on your browser you can ask to opt out of being tracked, but that depends on the advertiser accepting and obeying your opt-out request. Better to tweak the firewall settings to tell McAfee to block them before they can be placed on your system in the first place.

halton
Contributor III
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

How is this done? The thought of resetting  Firewall settings intimidates me.

Jerry

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

I was wrong, it's not in the firewall. At least, not in Internet Security 2010. It's under Real-Time Scanning.

Open the Security Center (click on the McAfee shield, bottom right) and click on Real-Time Scanning, then on RTS Settings. The Settings will display : scroll down to Threats and make sure the Tracking Cookies box is checked.

If your McAfee installation doesn't have this section one of the other mods will have to point you to the right place.

IS Tracking Cookies.JPG

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Same in 2011 version Peter

halton
Contributor III
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

I have done this and it seems that the box in the san scan settings is already checked.

Jerry

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Hmmm. There's another discussion about tracking cookies HERE which might be of interest. RTS may not be blocking them properly - or it might be. I'm not seeing any at all.

halton
Contributor III
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for all your help.

Jerry

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community