cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HDFilmMaker2112
Former Member
Message 1 of 20

Total Protection 2009

I just purchased Total Protection 2009 but I get an error when I try to install it, telling me that "Anonymizer Anonymous Web Surfing" is installed and I have to uninstall it before continuing. The problem is, I can not locate Anonymizer Anonymous Web Surfing in the Add/Remove programs window in Windows XP and they seem to not make an uninstaller utility. How should I uninstall this software or fix it so I can install McAfee.
19 Replies
HDFilmMaker2112
Former Member
Message 2 of 20

RE: Total Protection 2009

No Responses? Are you telling me I wasted 60 bucks? I need a fix or a refund.

I already tried contacting Anonymizer and they pretty much ignored me.
Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 20

We cannot be everywhere however I found your post and will check further so check back soon.

Ok first their uninstalling steps are here
http://www.anonymizer.com/help/anonymous_surfing/6.2/uninstall.html

Big issue here is they say use the add remove programs area of Control panel and you said it is not found there. I assume you have done this a while back otherwise the program would be shown there so on to step 2 when I find it..

Step 2 There are I feel bits of the program hanging on from the uninstall probably in the registry that the installer sees. Maybe a registry cleaner could fix it but I am lothe to suggest 1 at this moment. A better idea would be to wait till 12 hrs hence and I can discuss this with several techs who join some of we mods on a phone hoohup every Monday afternoon. Wait till then please and reemail the firm re registry areas it changes.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 20

Sometimes it's necessary to reinstall a programme in order to get rid of it. Have you tried that? The uninstaller should then show up in Control Panel/Add or Remove.

You can also contact them by phone as per the attached sticky (click to enlarge).

http://www.anonymizer.com/consumer/support/

By the way McAfee offers free phone support for 30 days for all retail purchases: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=224003
Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 20

Now that is an interesting thought thanks Peter
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 20

You're welcome....hope it works!
HDFilmMaker2112
Former Member
Message 7 of 20

Yep, I tried the reinstall and uninstall, and ended up with the samething, nothing in Add/Remove programs but McAfee still tells me installed.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 20

Maybe this will help:

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit hit the Enter key.
Go to:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/UNINSTALL

Look for any entries in that key that pertain to Anonymizer or Anonymous and delete them. Be very careful to only delete those entries and none of the others.

Try your install again.
HDFilmMaker2112
Former Member
Message 9 of 20

Hmm... it's not coming up in that list.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 20

The alternative is a rather lengthy registry cleanup.

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit and click OK.
A page should open with the top left hand corner looking like this:

if for some reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer.
Go to File tab and click "Export" and send the registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting merge.
Now click the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "Anonymizer" (minus the "") then click "Find next" (or hit the enter key).
Whatever is found, right-click and delete.
Hit your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.
If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself ownership & then permission.
This takes a LONG time by the way.
If all is successful that entry could not possibly remain and you can then delete the registry backup.

This has to be done when signed in as an Administrator by the way.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community