Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GWE
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Too many restarts

Hi I am hoping someone can answer this:

Question 1.  Why does McAfee require me to restart my computer so much to finish some update?  This is highly annoying. I can understand the need if it is rare, however, it seeems like it is way too many times.  Especially when it is only site advisor that was updated.

Question 2. When will the option to uninstall the back up program without needing to uninstall/reinstall everything.  My time is precious to me and this is simply unacceptable.  McAfee needs to write a patch/fix, not me having to take the time to uninstall etc.  I am the customer.

Question 3. I have tried using the remove desktop icon program that had previously removed the desktop McAfee icon but now no longer works.  When will this be remedied.

My preception is that the developers program McAfee to be friendly to them but not to the users.  Its like the user view point is secondary.  There is no reason  items 2 and 3 can not be fixed with a simple patch that should take all of 10 minutes to program and release yet many months later it is still not done.

Thank you for your help.  I am frustrated by this.

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: Too many restarts

Question 1.  Why does McAfee require me to restart my computer so much to finish some update?  This is highly annoying. I can understand the need if it is rare, however, it seeems like it is way too many times.  Especially when it is only site advisor that was updated.

Like some Windows Updates, certain updates require registry changes that can't happen while processes are running.   So they happen while the system reboots.   This shouldn't be too often as it only happens when a major change is happening or a patch is being applied.

Question 2. When will the option to uninstall the back up program without needing to uninstall/reinstall everything.  My time is precious to me and this is simply unacceptable.  McAfee needs to write a patch/fix, not me having to take the time to uninstall etc.  I am the customer

Yes that is a rather annoying feature and we have passed that back already as a bug.   You can use a custom installation however and not install it in the first place.

Question 3. I have tried using the remove desktop icon program that had previously removed the desktop McAfee icon but now no longer works.  When will this be remedied.

The patch for that has already been issued (requiring a reboot) but can take a while to reach all 40 million subscribers as per HERE or HERE.   If you read either of those links you can see it can be hastened by installing from your account over the top of the current installation.   (Use the custom install if you don't want Online Backup).

Lastly your perception of the developers is understandable but I assure you they are working constantly behind the scenes and are rarely seen on these forums.  For the desktop icon issue they worked 24/7 right over Christmas and New Year to get the patch tested, which takes time, then finally issued.   These things often take longer than you think and are not as simple as they would first appear.

Footnote:  If the icon issue isn't cured for you after receiving SecurityCenter version 11.0.654 please post back.  A very few people seemed to have a problem with a missing registry key which can be easily fixed.    Also the fix cures the desktop icon issue only, not the fixed Start Menu entry issue which is a separate bug and is being worked on.

All the best.   😉

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/01/12 7:27:55 EST AM
GWE
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

I think I discovered a way to stop the online backup from starting with out needing to uninstall/reinstall the entire McAfee program.

It seems to work for me.

start

run

type services.msc

right click on the MBACKUP program

choose properties and in the drop down box change automatic to disabled.

I have win xp sp3

This also works for that pesky JQS program that also starts on its own.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Good thought.

flogger
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Nice. This would save a a bunch of time.

madlab
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

It seems to require a reboot about every week now. It's really annoying as a reboot is a major inconvenience. And what's worse, while the reboot is pending McAfee disables its firewall which is unbelievably bad. Fortunately the default Windows firewall takes up the slack, but I think it's shockingly poor practice by McAfee.

Korgman
Contributor III
Message 7 of 7

I've noticed more frequent restarts recently than in the past as well. I'd say about 1-2 a week. Not a huge deal, but inconvenient. The real killer is when a restart is pending, my internet browsing becomes very choppy and slow until I reboot. I have not received any flags about the firewall.

SC build 14.0.6120

AV 18.0.6014

WIN7 fully patched w/ FF.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community