cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emtjoe
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

The Update That Never Ends

After having problems with McAfee and the infamous "Your computer is not protected message" I decided to to a clean removal and reinstall this morning.  Big mistake.  Used the removal tool and downloaded the program from your site.  It hung several times about 3/4 of the way through installation.  After several attempts, did another removal and decided to install from the CD this time.  Ok, it's not the new interface which from what I have seen, I really like but what the heck at least my computer will be protected.  Everything seemed fine for a while except now we are in the middle of the update that never ends.  it's been going on for over two hours now and whenI hover over the update icon it says "Installing McAfee Security Center: Started:.  Is this normal or do I need to do even another uninstall/reinstall.  Frustrating to say the least.

4 Replies
The_Narc
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: The Update That Never Ends

Hello,

I did the same thing and discovered that I takes too long to complete the update process because it was a very old version of McAfee (2007), so it first updates to 2008 version and finally to 2009's. So be patient because if you try to restart the whole OS it will tell you that it can not be done because there is an update in progress, that you have to wait... In my case it took me 2 reboots to get the latest version of McAfee Security Center (9.15.160) and VirusScan (13.15.113) installed.

HTH

Cheers,

The_Narc

Edited on 2/28/10 6:45:31 PM CST
emtjoe
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Ok, so here is what I tried.  Tried to run the McAfee removal tool, got a pop-up message that it was already running.  Not good.  Tried to remove whatever pieces of Total Protection that had been installed using Add/Remove Programs.  No joy there, simply got a blank Securoty Center box that popped up and did nothing.  Finally booted up in Safe Mode and was able to use the removal tool although it gave a warning that it could not remove everything.  After that was completed, I went in and deleted every folder that had McAfee in its name.  Tried downloading and running the program before I went to bed last night at 10:00 PM.  Checked it at 4:30 AM this morning and no joy.  The installation had frozen once again.  I rebooted in Safe Mode and once again removed whatever pieces of TP had been installed (once again with the warning) and deleted any folders that had McAfee in its name.  So there my computer sits.  It is currently turned off and unless someone is nice enough to help me figure this out, when I get home this afternoon, I will be installing a competitor's product which I REALLY do not want to do.

emtjoe
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Tried running the pre-installer this afternoon before taking one last shot at this.  Sadly the installation hung in the same place as every other time, approximately 2/3 of the way through.  Now I have to go through the hassle of booting in Safe Mode in order to get rid of it AGAIN because for some reason my computer thinks that the removal tool is running even though it's not.  No answer from anyone.

emtjoe
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Just because I really didn't want to go through the hassle of another uninstall, I tried the Live Chat help.  Can't say enough about the rep who helped me.  Five minute (at most) wait time and 20 minutes later my Total Protection 2010  has successfully installed.  Apparently the problem is some of the processes running on my computer were slowing/stalling my installation.  Something for others to be aware of should they see this thread.  Thanks again to the rep who helped me out.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community