cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Systemguards disabled

I've recently noticed that my system guards were disabled, for as far as I know after an update.

I'm aware of the thread in Security Center 8, but this occurs to me in Security Center 9.
(Windows XP Home Edition IE 7 service pack 2 updated, Virusscan Plus 2009)
Just ordering the security center to 'fix' the problem seems to work, at least on the short run.

I've experienced this a few times recently.

Unlike most users, I have set MOST of my system guards to alert and log.

Suggestions ? I'd really not go through the whole uninstall and reinstall routine.

(And the Check Point issue as mentioned in other thread is irrelevant, I don't have that software)
12 Replies
bou
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Systemguards disabled - yellow exclamation mark

I have the same problem. It happens nearly everytime, not long after booting the PC.
I have reinstalled using my McAfee account recently, but this didn't fix the problems. Any ideas?

Regards, Bou
judymadnick
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Am I Protected? No!

I, too, am receiving the message that my computer is not protected, and I have to perform a "Fix." Five items are termed problems that must be resolved. This occurs several times a day. I spoke to a McAfee technician, who said that I "must have a virus that has attacked McAfee," as well as perhaps other programs. And for $69.96 or $89.95 (depending upon my choice of method), McAfee will help me eliminate the problem! Hmmmm . . . so McAfee didn't catch it in time and now I have to pay to fix it? <sigh>

Then I updated SpyBot S&D -- and now it takes forever to get into IE!

Computers: a love-hate relationship. <sigh>
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

RE: Systemguards disabled - yellow exclamation mark

From what I have learned, if you have problems you should try to avoid the 'FIX'.
'FIX' doesn't always really fix. It's best to ignore the 'FIX' option and try to resolve the underlying problems on your own.

As I did with the systemguards: I didn't click on 'FIX', but just reenabled the system guards, probably followed by a reboot.
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

RE: Am I Protected? No!

From what I understand Spybot has a tea-timer which is incompatible with McAfee.
Again the suggestion to not click on 'FIX', but try to resolve the underlying problem on your own.
judymadnick
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

I've attempted to find the underlying problem to no avail. It was McAfee that suggested it may be a virus that has affected McAfee. Before I go back to a restore point, I would like to determine whether there's any other way to solve this problem. I haven't found any settings that seem incorrect. I updated Spybot just today; I have disabled Tea Timer. I don't believe I had Tea Timer previously, but I'll watch to see what happens.

Thanks for your replies.
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

A word of caution: unless this has changed in recent versions of McAfee (probably not), going back to a previous restore point can cause more problems than it solves.
The idea is: you go back to your Windows restore point, which is linked/intertwined with (older) McAfee software (registry, programs, processes etc), but you also have the latest McAfee software (DAT etc) that is not part of the restore point.

In other words, you get a mess. I learned that the hard way.
judymadnick
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

Systemguards disabled

Don't worry -- I'm not going back to a restore point. I think I will start with uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee. If that doesn't work -- well, if McAfee can't protect my system from itself, maybe I should be using different software. <sigh>
judymadnick
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Am I protected? No! -- virus??

Okay, here's where things stand: Last night I "chatted" with a McAfee rep who told me to uninstall Spybot, AdAware, and McAfee and reinstall McAfee. I followed all directions carefully...and still had the same problem of several features becoming disabled. I *think* it occurs after an update, although I'm not always sitting at the computer when McAfee automatically updates.

So tonight I called McAfee again. I was told that it *must* be a virus. I ran a McAfee scan, and nothing showed up. So now the only option McAfee offers is for me to contact the Virus Removal Team for either $69.95 or $89.95 depending upon the method used to help (leading me through or "taking over" my computer while I watch). Interesting--if McAfee misses a virus and my computer becomes infected, I have to pay to "clean" it!!

Unless I receive any new information tomorrow morning, it looks like McAfee will become a thing of the past on my computer. For quite some time I have been ignoring those who know more about security than I do when they suggested that I should use something *better* than McAfee. I guess I should have listened sooner. <sigh>
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

RE: Am I protected? No! -- virus??

It's possible that you are infected by malware (not necessarily a 'virus'). You could try several online antivirus scanners, but it might make more sense to try MBAM or SAS (free version), they often catch things that antivirus programs miss.

But I suspect it's not a virus.

McAfee told you to uninstall McAfee ? My guess would be that they suggested the shortcut.

Here is a link that might help: (see post 2 by Ex Brit)

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=226124&highlight=mcpr

I would remove the browsing history (you'll lose passwords and such), or at least the temporary files before trying to reinstall McAfee again. And make sure that your time/date zone is accurate.

Of course, this may not help.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community